• Register Today It's free!

91 Explorer steering

Hetzer 88

Reaction score
City, State
Kiev
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer '91
Hi! I have some promblems with steering. First, I need to repair the steering gearbox, I have an oil seal kit, but I havn't baerings. Why knows a partnumbers of these bearing? What else parts may have to be replaced?
And about lower steering shaft, can it be swapped from another Ford's models?

P.S. Sorry, I don't speak English very well....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hello , your best bet would be to just replace the steering box . you can get one on rock auto . for under 100.00 . the LARES part # 1446 would work & i would suggest getting the 3.25" coupler also . hope this helps you some . :salute: you are talking about the pitman arm , Those hardly ever wear out but again you could get one from rock auto . The arm from a 1990 bronco 2 will work , 1991 - 1994 explorers will work , 1990-1997 ranger will work . the part # is ac delco # 45C0086 . wish you luck . holler if you need help thats what we are here for .

I was going to recommend replacement but his profile says he's in Kiev. Probably harder/more expensive to come across parts there. Still, price it out. Seems like most people opt to replace the box rather than rebuild it.

Thanks for answers! Actually, in my situation it's not so cheap to buy a new steering box, because a shipping from USA costs bigger, then this part. That's why I want to repair it.

And I'm talking not about pitman arm, but of this part on the photo:
intermediate_shaft-2.png

Ok the complete rebuild kit Gates # 348485 , as for the steering shaft , I would suggest a junk yard , I am not sure about cross over , the steering box was used in a lot of fords , rangers , some vans & bronco 2 , maybe you could check these for the shaft . The steering shaft you need is made but it costs a couple hundred dollars , is the universal bad or the rag joint ??
:roll:

Ok the complete rebuild kit Gates # 348485 , as for the steering shaft , I would suggest a junk yard , I am not sure about cross over , the steering box was used in a lot of fords , rangers , some vans & bronco 2 , maybe you could check these for the shaft . The steering shaft you need is made but it costs a couple hundred dollars , is the universal bad or the rag joint ??
:roll:

No, universal and rag are OK, there is a play in upper and lower halves of shaft...

Mine has play as well. Steering shaft looks fine. I've been told to adjust a screw (or something) on the gear box. A little at a time. I've yet to do it.

Mine had a lot of play, I adjusted the screw and it took quite a bit of play out but didn't make the steering any tighter and it still returns to center. Still some play but I'm happy with the balance.

Ok hetzer 88 if you search this forum there is threads on this steering shaft . they used 2 styles one had 2 rag joints , the other like yours . try a search on steering shaft , or maybe just steering . that might give you alot more info on this part . & if you cant find it let us know & we will direct you to them .

The shafts with rag joints develope play as they age. The rag joints do not have rebuild kits but some mid-80s jeep lower steering shafts will fit the Ex with modification of the upper joint. I built my replacement shaft that way. They are sold on ebay but again, the shipping may be very high cost.
You can contact the rebulders about parts for your steering box. I'm pretty sure seals can be purchased but do not know about the bearings. Good luck to you.

Upper to lower shaft play

Update: I was considering the Flaming River option. But was just having a hard time parting with $300 for their intermediate shaft and u-joints. However, I have good news for anybody who suspects their rag joint is getting too soft. I just bought one from Rock Auto for $25 incl. S&H

Back