2014 Ford Explorer no OEM tow option | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Ford Explorer no OEM tow option

kafluke

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014, Explorer MP
Okay so I've been reading around quite a lot and I'm not sure what I've gotten myself into.

My wife is the one that drives the Ford Explorer and she has always wanted a camper trailer. So I bought a used one at a local lot. 21 feet.

We priced around and found a local trailer shop and had them install a trailer hitch and all the wiring along with a break controller.

Everything works great and we've taken the camper up in the mountains a couple of times already. My question is this:

Every time we go up a hill we have to switch to M (manual) and then use the + and - on the side of the shifter to shift up and down respectively or the RMP's go way up. We didn't get the tow package when we bought it (even though we asked for it. Slimey salesman). I see that it has sway control built in when I browse through the menu's on the console. I've also read that at this point I only need to install the OEM tow/haul switch. I ordered the OEM switch and it's coming in the mail right now. Am I correct in my research that installing this switch will enable tow/haul mode (auto gear shifting and engine braking - according to the manual)? Or is there something else I've missed?

Also the thread I found with installation instructions for the OEM tow/haul switch has a suspended photobucket account so none of the pictures are there. In other words, is there a guide or diagram for the OEM tow/haul switch install on a Ford Explorer 2014?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Without the OEM factory tow package the Explorer is limited to towing 2000 lbs. Those with the tow package have a different transmission and other features including a different front bumper valance to allow for an air cooling duct installation.
Photobucket not longer allows free hosting and all pictures posted in the Forum have disappeared. I am not aware if any posts with installation instructions for that switch.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...included-in-a-trailer-tow-package-iii.458026/

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Without the OEM factory tow package the Explorer is limited to towing 2000 lbs. Those with the tow package have a different transmission and other features including a different front bumper valance to allow for an air cooling duct installation.
Photobucket not longer allows free hosting and all pictures posted in the Forum have disappeared. I am not aware if any posts with installation instructions for that switch.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...included-in-a-trailer-tow-package-iii.458026/

Peter
Weight is 2732 lbs. Shoot so I shouldn't be pulling it with this? It seams to do just fine.

Weight is 2732 lbs. Shoot so I shouldn't be pulling it with this? It seams to do just fine.
I think you would likely be good to go. In the Towing Guide Ford recommends using a Weight Distribution Hitch for towing over 2000 lbs.

Any ideas on installation instructions for this OEM switch? I'd like to install it and see if it turns on tow/haul mode.

By the way, thanks @peterk9 for all your help!

don't really need instruction, once you remove the old panel, you will see the electrical connector for the switch, just put the switch in the new panel, plug the electrical connector to it and you are good to go.
Nothing more, and it will activate the tow/haul function
Obviously you need a new panel that has the cut-out for the switch but you can certainly test the switch without the new panel

Did this mod with my 2013 Explorer base and the tow haul button worked flawlessly. Still will need to put it in M going up steep grades but other than that no over heating or slipping issues. Towed uhaul trailer at around do 3k lbs from Virginia to NJ.

So I got the button and its simple plug and play. You can buy the trim if you don't want to cut a hole in the existing one but a dremel made great rectangular hole that the button locked right into. I was able to turn on tow/haul mode but I haven't tested it yet with my camper. Pretty easy install though

Back