2014 Ford Explorer Rear Window Spoiler Ridiculous | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Ford Explorer Rear Window Spoiler Ridiculous

Hmmm.. first post which is nothing but a complaint and hasn't been back in 8 days?? got to love it!!

:dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not an engineer but do have some experience with designing and ordering large flat back trucks who's rear always got downright filthy in rain, wet road conditions.

The reason this occurs on all SUVs and trucks and not cars is simple.

The design.

All sedans and coupes are aerodynamic meaning the water, and more importantly the wind blows off the back and away from them.

Large trucks, buses, and SUVs because of their large flat back does not allow water and dirt to flow away from the vehicle. Instead the rear air vortex created while driving keeps the water and the dirt towards the vehicle and pushes it into the vehicle, thus creating the more dirtier rear on large trucks, buses, and all SUVs.

What a top mounted rear spoiler might do is keep even more of this dirty mixture at the rear of the vehicle from blowing up and away, but to be honest I don't see any excessive dirt other than the norm on the rear of my Explorer.

Hmmm.. first post which is nothing but a complaint and hasn't been back in 8 days?? got to love it!!

:dunno:
Probably too busy washing the back of his Explorer!;)

Peter

Its a SPORT UTILITY vehicle. Get an old man Cadillac and leave it in the garage if you're worried about dirt on it.

Definitely, this car is more aerodynamic than the 5th gen Explorer. :D

What would be nice is to have the rear view camera lens mounted behind the rear window glass. That way a quick spray and wipe from the rear wiper would mean a clear backup camera. Kind of anoying having the camera always covered in goo after every drive when the roads are wet. Would seem like an easy design change.

Back