2014 Ford Explorer Rear Window Spoiler Ridiculous | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Ford Explorer Rear Window Spoiler Ridiculous

yooperup

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 ford Explorer XLT
Bought a new 2014 Explorer owned several, but first one with Rear Window Spoiler, after driving it home from Dealer the Rear Window covered in residue. I am absolutely positive Ford Engineers never conducted a Wind Smoke test on Spoiler. A delta P occurs creating a partial vacuum, rotating vortex allowing dust, road spray, rain, snow, pollen to impinge on Rear Window. I believe the only purpose is aesthetics, as it definitely not a functional addition.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wrong the explorer spoiler was in the wind tunnel when designed... !
You tube it.

I just like the fact someone actually said Delta P in an automobile forum and not an aviation forum. You go with your bad self Mr Newport.

No problems here with my spoiler. Wish the rear wiper fluid would come out a little more evenly though.

Bought a new 2014 Explorer owned several, but first one with Rear Window Spoiler, after driving it home from Dealer the Rear Window covered in residue. I am absolutely positive Ford Engineers never conducted a Wind Smoke test on Spoiler. A delta P occurs creating a partial vacuum, rotating vortex allowing dust, road spray, rain, snow, pollen to impinge on Rear Window. I believe the only purpose is aesthetics, as it definitely not a functional addition.

The collection of dirt/spray is not due to the spoiler itself....this is an inherent problem with virtually all SUV's...just take a look at the rear end of any brand you see on the road in bad weather and you will see most, if not all of them are also very dirty at the rear. I've owned two other SUV's with the same problem. Yes it is a little annoying to try and keep them clean after a rain or snowfall...but that's just the nature of these vehicles....you just have to learn to live with it.

Must be one of the reasons they put a wiper blade and a window washer nozzle back there. Just think if you didn't have one of those.

The collection of dirt/spray is not due to the spoiler itself....this is an inherent problem with virtually all SUV's...just take a look at the rear end of any brand you see on the road in bad weather and you will see most, if not all of them are also very dirty at the rear. I've owned two other SUV's with the same problem. Yes it is a little annoying to try and keep them clean after a rain or snowfall...but that's just the nature of these vehicles....you just have to learn to live with it.
Agreed. All of the 3 Highlanders I previously had were affected by the same issue and all had rear 'spoilers'.

Peter

Usually when Im new to a forum I like to keep my first post somewhat close to the facts as apposed to anecdotal hearsay, but thats just me.

Would be nice to get a 3D model and do some computational fluid dynamics to see the flow around the whole vehicle. Then maybe add atmospheric conditions vs speed and then add particles such as snow, dust, ice and volcanic ash to see the collection efficiency. Follow that up with some conjugate heat transfer analysis and then we'll really see what's happening with these explorers in regards to the ice and dust collection risk.
Off topic, but would be interested in a nitrogen gas fuel tank inerting system if they ever come up with that mod some day.

Let's keep in mind that it's an SUV, not a Formula 1 race car. :)

Peter

would be nice to get a 3d model and do some computational fluid dynamics to see the flow around the whole vehicle. Then maybe add atmospheric conditions vs speed and then add particles such as snow, dust, ice and volcanic ash to see the collection efficiency. Follow that up with some conjugate heat transfer analysis and then we'll really see what's happening with these explorers in regards to the ice and dust collection risk.
Off topic, but would be interested in a nitrogen gas fuel tank inerting system if they ever come up with that mod some day.

lmao!

Let's keep in mind that it's an SUV, not a Formula 1 race car. :)

Peter

Ha, better tell to the tuners in the other section Peter!

Living in the desert, our cars get dust on the front, back, side, top and inside no matter what shape or aerodynamics, just have to wash it once a week.

Ha, better tell to the tuners in the other section Peter!

Living in the desert, our cars get dust on the front, back, side, top and inside no matter what shape or aerodynamics, just have to wash it once a week.
Yea, I've received a few replies about that, especially when I questioned if 365 HP wasn't good enough.:D:thumbsup:

Peter

Must be one of the reasons they put a wiper blade and a window washer nozzle back there. Just think if you didn't have one of those.

haha,... no kidding

the 1999 Honda Passport that I replaced with my new EX had a broken rear wiper....

Would be nice to get a 3D model and do some computational fluid dynamics to see the flow around the whole vehicle. Then maybe add atmospheric conditions vs speed and then add particles such as snow, dust, ice and volcanic ash to see the collection efficiency. Follow that up with some conjugate heat transfer analysis and then we'll really see what's happening with these explorers in regards to the ice and dust collection risk.

Or invest in a garden hose, a bucket, and some soap.

...if anyone has the chance to get volcanic ash on their Ex,
a.-it may void your warranty faster than MFT 3.7...:D
b.-please please Herculese take some pictures & post here...:thumbsup:

As much as the hate train is piling on, there is a point here. Some aerodynamic changes could definitely cut back on the mess that builds up on the window and hatch, but I have a feeling this shape was picked more for aesthetics and internal volume...or else we'd all be driving jelly beans like the inifinity qx's

Scouring my feeble memory, I recall that Lund used to make a rear spoiler for the BRII that had slots in it that took the higher pressure from above the vehicle and vented in down the rear window spoiling much of the low pressure present behind the vehicle. I have to admit, I was too poor to buy one back when I my little Bronco, but I have sketches to improve the Ex just as soon as my house is done. I'm planning to buy a new spoiler and mod it, replace mine and do road testing. The idea is that square holes can be cut into the stock spoiler and drop in fiberglass inserts with be screwed and glued to port the air downward. Whether or not I'll actually GET to it, now that's a nother story, but that's the plan.

I think the spoiler looks great on the Ex. Yeah, it gets awful dirty back there in the rain and snow, but my previous GMC Jimmy was not a lot better with the traditional box shape and no spoiler. The GMC was not as bad in light rain, but if it was heavy or an extended rain it ended up as bad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ours gets dirty too. Being white it shows up pretty good. The day after washing it there's dirt all over the back. So I wash it once a week at least and always use a quick wax after washes. I'd recommend just leaving it in the garage if you want it to stay clean or cut some holes in a car cover and bag it...

Back