2014 Limited Ordered - Pecan/Black Interior & Adaptive questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Limited Ordered - Pecan/Black Interior & Adaptive questions

miraj

Reaction score
City, State
Park Ridge, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Chevy Trailblazer
Very excited to get delivery on our new Limited.

I checked in with Ford Customer service and they were super helpful.
Here is my info:
We ordered on 10/2
Got the VIN on 10/24 - but I think it was ready sooner
Build date seems to be mid-Nov
ETA to dealer 11/25
Hoping for sooner since we have a road trip planned that week and would love to take this baby on the road.

Will check back in a week to 10 days to see if the time table moves up any.

We got pretty much the works on the with the 302A, adaptive, 20 in wheels, moonroof, and towing and the 2nd row heated seats - we stuck with the 2nd row bench. Black ext/Black with pecan interior.

Could not find a 2013 or 2014 that matched these specs in stock in the greater Chicagoland area, so went the custom route.

I had a couple of questions:

Does anyone know why Ford made the adaptive cruise an option in the 2014 for 302a vs. including it in the 2013? Was it to keep the pricing down for '14?

How does the option actually function do folks like it?

Also, we were not able to find anyone nearby that had that interior color combination to see it in person. We liked what we saw on the site and ordered it based on that.

Has anyone gotten the black and pecan? Would you mind sending or posting pictures.

I think we will like the two tone, but would love your opinions.

thanks all

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know why Ford made the adaptive cruise an option in the 2014 for 302a vs. including it in the 2013? Was it to keep the pricing down for '14?

How does the option actually function do folks like it?

Also, we were not able to find anyone nearby that had that interior color combination to see it in person. We liked what we saw on the site and ordered it based on that.

Has anyone gotten the black and pecan? Would you mind sending or posting pictures.

I think we will like the two tone, but would love your opinions.
Wow, you bought the same vehicle we did. Could not find in stock the specific items we wanted, so we ordered also. Picked ours up on the 15 of this month.

The adaptive cruise is hands-down a winner. It works better than I had expected. Slows you down as you approach a slow vehicle, maintains the distance, picks up promptly if you go around, and surprisingly to me will brake hard if the vehicle in front slows to turn, etc. Definitely a good option even if it is expensive.

The pecan-charcoal color combo is very nice also. We did cheat and found one locally to look at, but it looks very rich and classy on the inside. You will like it.

The tow package is also a good option even it you don't tow. It gets you the heavier duty transmission 6F55 versus 6F50, and extra engine cooling.

I also love the auto dimming headlamps, never had that on a car and it works well also.

We really like the car, our's suffered some shipping rash but the dealership took care of that very well. I have found a few sloppy assembly issues that I will pursue, but the vehicle so far is very nice. You had good taste ordering, good luck with yours. Dave

I have to back up what dabro55 says, I agree with the comments.

Adaptive Cruise is one of my favorite features, and as already stated it works very well.

Tow package is a must, even if your not towing, I had one of the Explorer program engineers tell me that its one of the best "bang 4 buck" options on the Explorer for what you get.

Heavy Duty transmission, engine oil cooler, bigger radiator, extra wiring.

I will always buy it from now on.

I asked about the reasoning for option bundling changes and was told they do marketing focus groups that partially influence changes. But your right, money always factors in.

Pecan/Black is a great look but IMHO its a personal choice. Maybe take the time to see one in person if its not too late.

I went black on black because I love the all black look on the SPORT.

I also got the tow package...mostly to be able to carry bikes. But, as you guys have said, it's a rather inexpensive option considering the overall price of the automobile.
And I didn't realize it came with updates to vehicle mechanics like the transmission, so it's a great choice!

thanks folks, I appreciate the insight. The pecan/black was a bit of a compromise with my wife as she is not a fan of the black exterior. She felt like the all black interior would get too hot in the summer. Pulse we did like the two tone feel- made it feel like some of the luxury brands we looked at.

Thanks for the insight on the adaptive, we wrestled with whether or not to pay extra to get it. Sounds like we made a good choice.

We did the towing package mostly for resale, as we don't tow anything. Nice to know the added bonuses that come with the towing package.

I am also awaiting the brochures I requested, hopefully the $750 private cash thing will come with those. I know those have been hit or miss for folks, so keeping my fingers crossed.

Very excited to get delivery on our new Limited.

I checked in with Ford Customer service and they were super helpful...

Thanks for the shout-out, miraj! I know you'll love your new Explorer; the waiting is the hardest part, but well worth it. :thumbsup:

It looks like other folks chimed in on your questions already, but if you think of anything else, feel free to reach out!

Crystal

Pictures of Charcoal/Pecan

Hi all,

If anyone has personal pictures they would be willing to share I would really appreciate it. We were only able to see the pictures on Ford.com and in the brochure. Just looking to tide the wait over with some pics of the interior as we wait the rest of the way.

thanks in advance.

Got the private cash coupon via email

Howdy -

Just wanted to report that after requesting the Ford brochure and talking to Customer Service, I received an email coupon for the $750 Private Cash. It is valid until 1/2/14.

I actually have not received the brochures yet, but got the email coupon.

Coupled with the price matching my dealer is doing vs. the truecar.com price, I think I am doing pretty well on this purchase. By the way, I would highly recommend using truecar.com - they really do seem to get the lowest price.

Good luck to others -

I tried to get the Pecan/black, but you can`t get it with the Ruby red that my wife insisted on. Oh well :(

Afternoon all,

Just a couple of updates:
We ordered on 10/2
Got the VIN on 10/24 - but I think it was ready sooner
Got window sticker today on 11/11 - just slightly ahead of the mid-Nov time frame originally given.
ETA to dealer 11/25- this was the original ETA, but hopefully with the few extra days and the close Chicago location, I get it earlier.

Also, just wanted to let folks know that the brochure private cash worked for me via email and a hard copy brochure.

finally, if anyone has actual black/pecan interior pictures they would like to post, I would appreciate it. We have not found any locally here in the Chicago land area. The online views vs. the Ford site views have varied greatly.

thanks

She is finally here....

Well not quite. Just got word from Crystal that the ETA has been moved up a bit to 11/20 from 11/25. I will be picking up my new limited on Wed or Thursday.

Crystal thanks for all your help and putting up with me. You and your team have been great.

I will be sure to post some picks once I get the new set of wheels!

Well not quite. Just got word from Crystal that the ETA has been moved up a bit to 11/20 from 11/25. I will be picking up my new limited on Wed or Thursday.

Crystal thanks for all your help and putting up with me. You and your team have been great.

I will be sure to post some picks once I get the new set of wheels!

Congratulations, miraj! I can't wait to see pictures of your Explorer! :)

Crystal

Hmmm, we wanted the Pecan & Black color also, but were told we could not get it with the Ruby red exterior. I don`t know why, it seems like a perfect fit.

Hello,

I recently ordered the 2014 Ex Limited FWD in Stering Grey Mettalic with Charcoal Black leather interior. I got the standard 300A package with dual panel moonroof, NAV and power lift gate added. I previously placed an order for the XLT without the moonroof and liftgate options but decided I needed to have those, they make the vehicle in my opinion. I am really excited and cant wait til delivery.

If anyone else has this model with color options please feel free to post pics!

Back