2014 New Owners - Check Your Wheels when you pick up your new ride.. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 New Owners - Check Your Wheels when you pick up your new ride..

Sport Wheel Lettering

Here is a picture of the Sport wheel that I found on the Internet on a 'First Drive Review' site. To me it looks like the lettering that of the thinner one from the previous pictures. That also appears to be the optional Summer tire but I doubt the actual wheels would be different.

Peter

Attachments

• ford-explorer-sport-7_1035a_1.JPG
    ford-explorer-sport-7_1035a_1.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 340

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good QC at the wheel manufacturer and at the CAP, you think somebody would have saw the difference or they did and didn't do anything,

Ford and their wheel supplier stepped up and took care of the issue.

Wheels being replaced ASAP

The thicker font is the correct wheel.

The supplier has also been made aware of the scratch issue with the shipping covers.

Good QC at the wheel manufacturer and at the CAP, you think somebody would have saw the difference or they did and didn't do anything,

Apparently the shipping covers are put on and they didn't see it at CAP QC

Good news! And they handled that quickly for you, too! Did you have to pressure your dealer or did they step up?

As mine was built 2 days before yours, I'm a little concerned but I haven't got around to pulling them out of storage to have a look yet...

It's surprising to hear they are still having shipping cover issues with the Sport wheels... By the quick & hassle free fixes they are giving, it sounds like they are well aware of the issue.

My new wheels came in and were perfect...

I wonder how long till there is an Ebay listing for brand new Explorer Sport wheels that are all slightly scratched? Lol

Turns out I couldn't get out the "rubbed" marks along the edges of the rims. All of the rims had edges marked up the same as pictures posted by others in this thread. 3 of the 4 had "chips" or "nicks" in the black painted areas of the wheels. The dealer talked to Ford and they approved to replace 3 wheels. The 4th has curb rash caused by me unfortunately so they didn't "ask ford" to replace that one. Ironically the wheel I damaged myself was the one least "damaged" by chips/rub marks... I haven't asked the dealer but I am wondering if they will allow me to swap one of the "replaced" wheels with the curb rash one - after all, it was damaged before it got to me but just not as bad as the others... what do you guys think?

Turns out I couldn't get out the "rubbed" marks along the edges of the rims. All of the rims had edges marked up the same as pictures posted by others in this thread. 3 of the 4 had "chips" or "nicks" in the black painted areas of the wheels. The dealer talked to Ford and they approved to replace 3 wheels. The 4th has curb rash caused by me unfortunately so they didn't "ask ford" to replace that one. Ironically the wheel I damaged myself was the one least "damaged" by chips/rub marks... I haven't asked the dealer but I am wondering if they will allow me to swap one of the "replaced" wheels with the curb rash one - after all, it was damaged before it got to me but just not as bad as the others... what do you guys think?
You can try but I think that the replaced wheels will likely have to be returned to Ford so they may, or may not, question the 'curb' damage.

Peter

I have noticed this issue on my vehicle also. I brought up to my the service guy at my dealer, he had not heard about the issue but said he will gladly look into it.

I have noticed this issue on my vehicle also. I brought up to my the service guy at my dealer, he had not heard about the issue but said he will gladly look into it.

Let us know what you hear from your dealer, ltdjp; I'll be here if you need any assistance from my neck of the woods. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Thanks Crystal, as always. I am going in next week for them to swap out the creased hood, so I am sure they will document everything then :thumbsup: A Ford rep also reached out to me and is offering me a free maintenance plan for my troubles. Ford has been stepping up for sure!

Thanks Crystal, as always. I am going in next week for them to swap out the creased hood, so I am sure they will document everything then :thumbsup: A Ford rep also reached out to me and is offering me a free maintenance plan for my troubles. Ford has been stepping up for sure!

Sounds like you're in good hands, ltdjp! :D

Crystal

They replaced 3 of 4 wheels. The 4th while it did have some minor chipping and scuffs, it also had road rash that I caused. I didn't feel like arguing for them to replace that one. Ironic that the best out of the 4 original wheels was the one that I happened to rash up myself... oh well.

The good news, the new wheels are scuff and scratch/chip free. I guess they don't ship them the same way off the car, as they do on... Wonder what they will do with the old ones now.

1 problem down...4 to go....

Back