Reaction score
City, State
Montreal, QC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Interceptor Utility.
SOLVED
Hello,
My apologies if it is a long read.
When my resonator rotted out on my 2014 3.7 PIU back in June 2021, I cut out the resenator and replaced it with an H-Pipe I made. The PIU ran great and very quiet (stock 2014 OEM exhaust except for h-pipe) for 2 years. The H-Pipe let go last week. Got under the car to see it is rusted beyond belief. I built it with 14 gauge exhaust pipe. *Now here's what I think... the oem exhaust piping is 2". I made the h-pipe out of 2 1/4" (all I had on hand) 14 gauge exhaust piping.
Could the flow of exhaust from the engine in the front 2" pipe off the cats to the 2 1/4" h-pipe and back down to the 2" rear piping to the mufflers have caused a restriction causing the h-pipe in getting too hot? To me that would explain the premature pipe rust rott. What are your thoughts. Should I build it again with 2 1/4" or 2" pipe?
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It shouldn't be any issues if you're using the same diameter pipe. I'm not an exhaust tech so to me, I'd just make sure to match the pipe diameter when doing the exhaust. Or just straight pipe it and cut the cats too! No restrictions 😂

It shouldn't be any issues if you're using the same diameter pipe. I'm not an exhaust tech so to me, I'd just make sure to match the pipe diameter when doing the exhaust. Or just straight pipe it and cut the cats too! No restrictions 😂
Thanks for the reply!
Also on these model Explorers, the cats are also the exhaust manifolds. Besides I use my vehicle for work and it is registered commercially, so I could not delete them even if I wanted to.

Thanks for the reply!
Also on these model Explorers, the cats are also the exhaust manifolds. Besides I use my vehicle for work and it is registered commercially, so I could not delete them even if I wanted to.
You could. Just make sure your state doesn't do emissions, it will never pass the inspection. Not sure if commerical are exempt or not.

You could. Just make sure your state doesn't do emissions, it will never pass the inspection. Not sure if commerical are exempt or not.
I'm in QC, Canada. I'm inspected biannually for the work I do. All good. As long as we don't mess with the cats all is good.

SOLVED Spoke with two performance shops that pretty much said the same thing.
I went with 2" 13 gauge aluminized exhaust tubing as recommended.

Any steel or aluminized steel is only going to last a couple years before it rusts out. Maybe 3-5 years with the corrosive road salt/liquid in the winter. I would install a stainless steel section of pipe so it won't rust out again.

Back