2014 PIU questions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 PIU questions

Make sure you flush all the fluids as soon as you get it. Also if its turbo, use FULL Synthetic. you will get a lot more life out of the turbo.

As Rhino* said, drain and fill the PTU every 30k. There is a youtube video of how to do it. Once you have the tube on top of the engine installed it is easier than an oil change.

Trevor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure you flush all the fluids as soon as you get it. Also if its turbo, use FULL Synthetic. you will get a lot more life out of the turbo.

As cobra said, drain and fill the PTU every 30k. There is a youtube video of how to do it. Once you have the tube on top of the engine installed it is easier than an oil change.

Trevor
Cobra is the OP, btw.

A few videos about the PTU:

I paid a little over $13k for my PIU.
It had 104K on the odometer however, that doesn't include the time spent under a tree waiting for bad guys lol.
Look at the engine idle hours on the display.

I had roughly 5600 engine hours and 3400 engine idle hours.

Actual mileage would be:

true mileage = ODOMETER MILAGE + ( IDLE HOURS X 30)
So 104000 + ( 3400 X 30) = 206000 actual miles.
(Hope my math is correct lol!)
Vehicle runs good. Has the 3.5 dual turbo engine. Have the common Ford "cylinder misfire" issue
When I stomp on it, engine coughs and check engine light flashes. I have new plugs and will inspect the coil packs
3rd option is to drill a small hole on the bottom of the intercooler to drain condensation which is another common problem.
When it goes.... IT GOES! wow what a ride!

Can you explain the comment about the common Ford "cylinder misfire" issue? Is it related to na or eb? I have a ~100k mile fusion ecoboost that shows 0 on all four misfire counts. Still has original plugs that were checked/regapped at 75k and again at 95k.

KayGee,
I have read a lot of complaints regard cylinder misfire problems. Boss at work has a F150 with cylinder #3 misfire. It's been to the dealer several times and they can't find the problem. You might be one of lucky ones that don't have the problem.

The county sheriff department are cycling out the Dodge Chargers for police utilities. They stayed away from dual turbo Ecoboost engines

Changed plugs, misfire problem went away.
Plugs were OEM factory plugs (yellow mark on tip)

KayGee,
I have read a lot of complaints regard cylinder misfire problems. Boss at work has a F150 with cylinder #3 misfire. It's been to the dealer several times and they can't find the problem. You might be one of lucky ones that don't have the problem.

The county sheriff department are cycling out the Dodge Chargers for police utilities. They stayed away from dual turbo Ecoboost engines
I read a lot of complaints across various forums also. However, you need to realize that there are a lot of stupid people out there and quite a few have no idea what they are doing most of the time. Stay safe out there.

My 17 is going back in for a seat creak for the third time. Couldn't figure it out the first time. Tried the tsb repair the second. Mechanics aren't what they used to be. There aren't any codes for the seat creak, so lots of head scratching and 'gotta call Ford engineers' to see what they think...

All the info is in ETIS.

zbnRObJ.jpg

So I'm dumb. Forgot you had to login first to get more info. Been awhile since I had been on there. ;)

I read a lot of complaints across various forums also. However, you need to realize that there are a lot of stupid people out there and quite a few have no idea what they are doing most of the time. Stay safe out there.

My 17 is going back in for a seat creak for the third time. Couldn't figure it out the first time. Tried the tsb repair the second. Mechanics aren't what they used to be. There aren't any codes for the seat creak, so lots of head scratching and 'gotta call Ford engineers' to see what they think...

Is your seat shifting when it creaks? I have a Focus RS, and some of the RS/ST guys get this, and basically resolve it with a couple locking collars on the bar the cushion mounts to.

Is your seat shifting when it creaks? I have a Focus RS, and some of the RS/ST guys get this, and basically resolve it with a couple locking collars on the bar the cushion mounts to.
Yep. Same issue. I've read up and seen all the different attempts to half ass a fix similar to Ford's heater hose and hose clamp garbage. Vehicle is under warranty and ford can fix it. If it were out of warranty, I'd try some different stuff myself but from what I've read, there isn't a guaranteed 100% fix, short of a new seat frame, which may/likely see the problem recur at some point in the future.

Back