2014 Sport "engine missing" at highway speeds | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Sport "engine missing" at highway speeds

dave91gt

Reaction score
City, State
Kenna, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Sport
Hello all. Wife drives a 2014 sport. Bought it in March and it now has 12k miles. It has been a great vehicle and we both enjoy driving it. Tons of power, great handling, braking, comfortable, etc.
We just returned from our "mini" vacation we take every fall to Gatlinburg TN. About 350 miles each way. Granted, I hardly drive the Explorer so shame on me.
Since new, it has had a very subtle bucking feeling when the engine is lugging at lower rpm in 6th gear. It used to be felt at 55-65 mph. I had the dealer check it at about 4k and they found nothing abnormal. It has never tripped a CEL, and once it downshifts it goes like crazy. Fuel mileage on this trip was 22mpg. Certainly good considering winter blend and travel through the mountains. I felt the same bucking on this trip at 70 mph. So it seems to be getting worse. Mind you, it's not awful but the wife said it has been getting more noticeable and sometimes has a rough idle when cold. I drive a 2014 F150 with the Eco and it doesn't have the same issues. From my reading, I am leaning towards the well documented plug gap sensitivity. Does anyone else notice this? I'm not overly concerned but will try and schedule another trip to the dealer. Just digging for some feedback. To be specific, when cruising easily in 6th gear on flat ground it is smooth. When you hit a small incline that just requires a nudge of the throttle and the motor is slightly loaded, the engine will have a random bucking feeling. Like its cutting out ever so slightly. Reminds you of an older car with a weak plug wire.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all. Wife drives a 2014 sport. Bought it in March and it now has 12k miles. It has been a great vehicle and we both enjoy driving it. Tons of power, great handling, braking, comfortable, etc.
We just returned from our "mini" vacation we take every fall to Gatlinburg TN. About 350 miles each way. Granted, I hardly drive the Explorer so shame on me.
Since new, it has had a very subtle bucking feeling when the engine is lugging at lower rpm in 6th gear. It used to be felt at 55-65 mph. I had the dealer check it at about 4k and they found nothing abnormal. It has never tripped a CEL, and once it downshifts it goes like crazy. Fuel mileage on this trip was 22mpg. Certainly good considering winter blend and travel through the mountains. I felt the same bucking on this trip at 70 mph. So it seems to be getting worse. Mind you, it's not awful but the wife said it has been getting more noticeable and sometimes has a rough idle when cold. I drive a 2014 F150 with the Eco and it doesn't have the same issues. From my reading, I am leaning towards the well documented plug gap sensitivity. Does anyone else notice this? I'm not overly concerned but will try and schedule another trip to the dealer. Just digging for some feedback. To be specific, when cruising easily in 6th gear on flat ground it is smooth. When you hit a small incline that just requires a nudge of the throttle and the motor is slightly loaded, the engine will have a random bucking feeling. Like its cutting out ever so slightly. Reminds you of an older car with a weak plug wire.

Based on similar problems discovered by a few Sport owners they ended up having their throttle body replaced. Lots of fighting with dealer techs who could diagnose the issue correctly.

Might be same issue in the early stages.

In cold weather on cold starts, I feel a slight bucking that goes away after the engine warms up. I have never felt it though at highway speeds. I have 9K miles on my ex sport

In cold weather on cold starts, I feel a slight bucking that goes away after the engine warms up. I have never felt it though at highway speeds. I have 9K miles on my ex sport

I have 9400 miles and exact same thing on my SPORT.

I had this type of issue on a Chevy Traverse ............ turned out to be a misfire on #6 cylinder. Replaced plug,wire,coil and problem solved. don't know if this is your issue but from what you describe it is exactly what I experienced. Did not throw off a check engine code but the service manager/ex-mechanic called it after a test drive on inclines.
Worth a shot having them check firing on all cylinders.

Gypsy

Thanks everyone.
Have a great thanksgiving.

...I felt the same bucking on this trip at 70 mph. So it seems to be getting worse...

In cold weather on cold starts, I feel a slight bucking that goes away after the engine warms up...

I have 9400 miles and exact same thing on my SPORT.

Hi everyone,

Bull riders may enjoy a little bucking, but that's not the experience we're going for in an Explorer. If you haven't already, I'd suggest taking your tech along for a test drive so you can demonstrate what you're feeling. Also, don't forget that I'm here to lend a helping hand. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll escalate you to your regional customer service manager.

Crystal

Thanks Crystal. That's what I plan to do at the next oil change which is within 1000 miles. I'm not terribly worried about it since it only happens under a very limited set of circumstances but I'll have the dealer check it out.

Thanks Crystal. That's what I plan to do at the next oil change which is within 1000 miles. I'm not terribly worried about it since it only happens under a very limited set of circumstances but I'll have the dealer check it out.

Good idea, BMan5150. Be sure to come back and post your results once you've had your appointment. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Just jumping in as a newbie to the forum, but I'm impressed to see an actual Ford Rep that is willing to help us out here!

Great job Crystal!

Just jumping in as a newbie to the forum, but I'm impressed to see an actual Ford Rep that is willing to help us out here!

Great job Crystal!
Not to take anything away from Crystal (FordService) but Rebecca (FordIVTteam) is the Ford In Vehicle Technology (IVT) rep in the IVT sub forum. Both are very helpful to our members.

Peter

Just wondering if they got this issue resolved. I'm having the same issue with my wife's explorer sport and the first attempt at the dealer was useless. I was told it was turbo lag and to drive it till maybe a CEL came on. I live an hour away from the dealership and it's frustrating to have a vehicle with 8500 miles on it doing this every time it pulls out of the driveway.

Just wondering if they got this issue resolved. I'm having the same issue with my wife's explorer sport and the first attempt at the dealer was useless. I was told it was turbo lag and to drive it till maybe a CEL came on. I live an hour away from the dealership and it's frustrating to have a vehicle with 8500 miles on it doing this every time it pulls out of the driveway.

There have been a number of Threads for issues similar to this on the Sport EcoBoost 3.5L motor.

If you can, check out the air inlet hose from airbox see if there is any oil in there, a couple members here had that as an issue causing similar symptoms.

Several have had the throttle body replaced but as a few here have said, its difficult getting dealership cooperation when there are no codes present and the tech cant replicate issue.

The other issue is spark plug gap, which I don't fully understand as the engine is tested before it leave plant.

I had an issue where the turbo wastegate actually stuck open and wouldnt close causing a rushing air sound and reduced power, the dealer tech replaced the wastegate actuator and its fine.

You almost have to leave the vehicle at the dealer and let them experience the behaviour when vehicle starts first thing in AM.

Thanks for the reply! Our sport does it just about all the time when cruising at highway speeds. You notice it as soon as it lugs in high gear at the slightest incline. It feels like a miss to me. As soon as you apply more throttle it goes away. I pulled the pcv lines and checked them for oil cause that was an issue with my gt500 that was addressed with catch cans. I will check the intake in the morning.We just drove 3 hrs to the mountains for the weekend and I noticed it quite a bit. I told my service rep yesterday when I called that the next time I brought it in I wasn't leaving until someone actually acknowledged it.

Yes that is annoying when the dealer Service Tech comes back with "Couldn't replicate customer complaint, no action taken"

Seriously, like you want to waste time at the dealer making false service complaints to gain what exactly?

I know they say "Ford wont pay us unless we can replicate the complaint"

I got an answer from Ford corporate and my dealership on this. Under SSM #47500 this is “normal” and is not an issue that needs to be fixed. I don’t agree, it feels like the transmission is lugging due to being in too high of a gear but that’s what they’ve settled on. See attached image

EBEB16BA-6D40-41A5-9063-201A7DE44315.jpeg

Back