2014 Sport - Rear view mirror sensor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Sport - Rear view mirror sensor?

CalifLove

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey guys,

Anyone know what the sensor behind the rear view mirror is for? If looking at the mirror from the drivers seat, the sensor is on the back towards the bottom left. I realized I have it covered pretty well with my radar detector placement and am wondering what I may be screwing up if anything. Haven't noticed anything as of yet... Thought maybe it was for the Adap cruise but that still works, as well as collision warning...

Just curious - maybe its nothing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys,

Anyone know what the sensor behind the rear view mirror is for? If looking at the mirror from the drivers seat, the sensor is on the back towards the bottom left. I realized I have it covered pretty well with my radar detector placement and am wondering what I may be screwing up if anything. Haven't noticed anything as of yet... Thought maybe it was for the Adap cruise but that still works, as well as collision warning...

Just curious - maybe its nothing?
I think you are talking about the photo sensor for day and night time lighting. Not sure how you have your detector mounted. But have you looked into blendmount with a mirror tap? I use this mount for my detector and it works and fits great.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3348211&postcount=133

The adaptive cruise control radar unit is located behind the front bumper facia.
It is located slightly above and to the right of the left fog light where the black grille stops and become a solid piece. The sensor for the auto dimming rearview mirror is built into the mirror surface as a small dot in the upper middle of the mirror. The auto lamp sensor is located on the dash. Not sure what the sensor is for that you are referring to. It could be that it is a common mirror and if so that could be the sensor used for those with the lane keeping option. It could also be for those that have the auto high beam feature.
Peter

I think you are talking about the photo sensor for day and night time lighting. Not sure how you have your detector mounted. But have you looked into blendmount with a mirror tap? I use this mount for my detector and it works and fits great.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3348211&postcount=133

Thanks, I love the blendmount, don't love the price. I'll probrably buy it sometime in the future when I have money burning whole in my pocket. For now, I use the suction mount that came with it. :)

The adaptive cruise control radar unit is located behind the front bumper facia.
It is located slightly above and to the right of the left fog light where the black grille stops and become a solid piece. The sensor for the auto dimming rearview mirror is built into the mirror surface as a small dot in the upper middle of the mirror. The auto lamp sensor is located on the dash. Not sure what the sensor is for that you are referring to. It could be that it is a common mirror and if so that could be the sensor used for those with the lane keeping option. It could also be for those that have the auto high beam feature.
Peter

Copy that. I'll take a pic tonight when I can just for kicks but yea - I suspect it is a common mirror or at least the mirror housing is common and in the Sport this particular sensor is not used. Something that comes to mind.. maybe its for auto sense wipers for those with the option on Limited etc...

The sensor for the rain sensing wipers is located in the large base that is attached to the windshield. I just has a look at mine and I have the same sensor. I also see that I have what looks like a lens attached to the windshield just below the mirror. I'm guessing that is for the auto high beams since they seem to be quite sensitive to oncoming vehicles. Much better than the sensor I had on the front left fender of my '64 Cadillac. Perhaps it does work in conjunction with the rearview mirror regarding light levels.

Peter

Photocell light sensor. I think it is a common case used on almost all models

Back