Wiring in aftermarket rear view mirror | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiring in aftermarket rear view mirror

wjones

Reaction score
City, State
Stoystown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Base XLT Explorer
I bought a 2019 base XLT and as we all have most likely experienced, there are little things you miss. One being in this case, the auto tint feature on the windshield mounted rear view mirrors. This one does not have that. I was looking at aftermarket mirrors and most seem to have some type of wiring depending on the options. What I am hoping is that Ford uses the same wiring harness for those vehicles that have wired rear view mirrors and those that do not and I will be able to plug right into the harness.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any advice? Suggestions on mirrors to look at?

Basically, any and all information is appreciated.

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have rear tinted windows? The dimming mirrors are pretty useless on usless on vehicles with tinted rear windows. If you don't have them you may want to tint it.

For just the mirror, the same 3 keep popping up here no matter the trim level. I suspect the first one might be what you want. Search Results | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
As for the wiring, I don't know if it is the same for all regardless of the mirror but I'm guessing it is not.

Peter

Do you have rear tinted windows? The dimming mirrors are pretty useless on usless on vehicles with tinted rear windows. If you don't have them you may want to tint it.
My current explorer has a rear tinted window. But, on my old explorer I had a rear tinted window with an auto-dimming mirror and it seemed to work well, at least I can tell enough of a difference now that I do not have an auto-dimming mirror. Enough that I want to get another one anyway.

My current explorer has a rear tinted window. But, on my old explorer I had a rear tinted window with an auto-dimming mirror and it seemed to work well, at least I can tell enough of a difference now that I do not have an auto-dimming mirror. Enough that I want to get another one anyway.
I may be wrong but I believe he was referring to an aftermarket tint as well as all glass comes tinted at various levels from the factory.

Peter

Back