2015/2016 Ford HID/LED vs Aftermarket... which is better? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015/2016 Ford HID/LED vs Aftermarket... which is better?

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
Can anyone compare from experience how good the Ford HID headlights are vs an aftermarket HID kit? And how would the new 2016 standard LED's compare vs an aftermarket kit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can anyone compare from experience how good the Ford HID headlights are vs an aftermarket HID kit? And how would the new 2016 standard LED's compare vs an aftermarket kit?

2013 Ford EX HID lights suck - I have them. Should have never gotten them. I've changed the D3S bulbs a couple of times to coax better performance and lighting but nothing improves. Don't get me wrong, its not like you cant see but for HID its very poor. I am in the process of retrofitting my hid's for better lighting. There are others here with the PNP HID, I cant speak for them..

I am getting such as the likes of this

http://www.jvxdriver.com/bixenon_comparison.htm

The 2016 model only has LED for the low beam. High beam I believe is Halogen.

Peter

I guess it's tough to see if the new LED's will be better than the current HID. So if I went with a 2015 model, just get the standard halogen projectors and do an aftermarket HID kit?

You can get a conversion kit or you can do it the proper way and do a retro fit and change the projectors to match the HID bulbs. The latter is more costly.
There are many posts and threads on this topic. Some members have also just changed the type of bulb they are using and have had very good results. Better light than OEM halogens but not quite as good as HID. That is likely the way I would go before doing anything else if the Explorer still has the LED/Halogen combination when I'm back in the market place and found the halogen high beams inadequate.

Peter

I guess it's tough to see if the new LED's will be better than the current HID. So if I went with a 2015 model, just get the standard halogen projectors and do an aftermarket HID kit?

LED headlights are popular in the Jeep community, I have a set on my Jeep.

There is talk that the HUGE downside is icing of the lenses. The LEDs do not put enough heat into the lens to keep it clear of ice and in sleet or wet snow they get covered and reduce the light output to something about unusable.

There is now a LED headlight maker that makes a "heated" LED headlight to solve the problem.

2013 Ford EX HID lights suck - I have them. Should have never gotten them. I've changed the D3S bulbs a couple of times to coax better performance and lighting but nothing improves. Don't get me wrong, its not like you cant see but for HID its very poor. I am in the process of retrofitting my hid's for better lighting. There are others here with the PNP HID, I cant speak for them..

I am getting such as the likes of this

http://www.jvxdriver.com/bixenon_comparison.htm

I agree with you... the factory d3s's do suck. I put on a pair of Philip's ultinon bulbs and wow.... huge difference. A bit pricy at $250 but has to be a whole lot cheaper and easier than a total refit.

I agree with you... the factory d3s's do suck. I put on a pair of Philip's ultinon bulbs and wow.... huge difference. A bit pricy at $250 but has to be a whole lot cheaper and easier than a total refit.

I have ultinons also, they are ok. Its the lens that's the problem. I got tired of the sub quality...took 2 years but retros getting done this weekend will post pics when complete.

Someone in my car club just picked up a loaded XLT and showed it to me last night. I gotta say... those factory halogen projectors looked pretty white and bright to me. I was impressed. Maybe it looked bright because we were in a dark area, but it seemed much better than my 2003 Explorer's headlights.

Morimoto 50w 4300k HIDs made a world of difference, even brighter than a friend's 2015 Range Rover

Is this just a bulb or does it require new projectors as well?

Is this just a bulb or does it require new projectors as well?

NJEXplorerFan,

From what I heard the extra heat of a 50W could degrade the internal components over time. I don't have any first hand evidence, just others have advised me of this.

I have a 2016 platinum got it 3 weeks ago and put in LEDs from eurovision cost me 189$ here in Canada, took out the halogen highbeams, after testing them on a dark road, they are maybe 20% brighter then the lows not in distance but more in a wider light but they dont put out like the halogen in distance, maybe 20% less but much brighter white...
Id say a 250 yrds if so brightness.
nice thing is when the highs are on they look good white and bright.no yellow crap,just looks weird to see the lows and highs(white/yellow) tint.

I have a 2016 platinum got it 3 weeks ago and put in LEDs from eurovision cost me 189$ here in Canada, took out the halogen highbeams, after testing them on a dark road, they are maybe 20% brighter then the lows not in distance but more in a wider light but they dont put out like the halogen in distance, maybe 20% less but much brighter white...
Id say a 250 yrds if so brightness.
nice thing is when the highs are on they look good white and bright.no yellow crap,just looks weird to see the lows and highs(white/yellow) tint.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Back