• Register Today It's free!

2015 Ford Explorer XLT

Casper250c

Reaction score
City, State
ORCHARD PARK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi, I'm new to this forum so please be patient with me.

I have a 2015 Explorer XLT 3.5L NON turbo 4wd with the factory tow package with the heavy duty brakes and an engine oil cooler etc. It has the class 3 hitch (claims a 5k lb towing capacity and a tongue weight of 500 lbs). I'm trying to figure out the GCWR of the vehicle.

I want to pull a light weight horse trailer (one of the European style ones like a Brenderup) the trailer has a tongue weight of 175lbs and empty weight of 1950 lbs plus 2100 lbs of horse gear etc.

Will my explorer be able to do that? How do I find out the GCWR of the explorer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Do you have your Owner's Manual? There is some helpful info in there about this and towing in general. The following was taken from page 275 of the 2nd printing.

1622736110751.png

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Do you have your Owner's Manual? There is some helpful info in there about this and towing in general. The following was taken from page 275 of the 2nd printing.

View attachment 331616

Peter
That's what I have in my manual as well, my question is which one applies to me?

0603211035.jpg

3.5L TiVCT(2)

That's what I thought but I wanted to be sure

The best thing do do to find out the weight of your Explorer is to load it up like you normally do when you are driving around. Go get a full tank of gas, and if you plan on having any passengers with you when you are hauling the trailer then either get them or figure in their weight.

Then head down to a truck stop that has a set of certified scales and get weighed. You may be surprised at how far off the figures from Ford are.

Back