2016 can't disable Easy Entry/Exit | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 can't disable Easy Entry/Exit

Well, we finally took it to the dealer today also and after being told by the front desk lady that "maybe it wasn't meant to be turned off" (really), they took it to a tech/mechanic and were able to recreate the problem. They said they'd contact Ford and get back to us on whether we'd need to replace the computer module.

Not a good start for my first Ford but other than this and the ridiculously loud and completely unnecessary honking when I leave the car with the key fob in my pocket, the car itself drives great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it seems like this is a huge issue as far as numbers go and everyone explorer with the same feature will need to be updated. i can't believe this wasn't tested before being put out.

Update

I took mine in yesterday. They did a simple reprogram of the instrument cluster and it didn't work.

Waiting to hear an update from them this morning on how Ford recommends we proceed.

Hi folks, I'm new to the forum. I just purchased a 2016 Explorer Limited (my first Ford product) and am having the same issue with not being able to disable the easy exit seating, tow sway, and engine off features. I took it to the dealer after having it for 24 hrs and no one seemed to know what the issue was. They said they contacted Ford Tech and were advised to check the G1 module. I didn't bother taking it back thinking this seemed to be more of a guess than a remedy. I think I'll wait a while for them to figure things out, I'm sure more problems will pop up.

Hi folks, I'm new to the forum. I just purchased a 2016 Explorer Limited (my first Ford product) and am having the same issue with not being able to disable the easy exit seating, tow sway, and engine off features. I took it to the dealer after having it for 24 hrs and no one seemed to know what the issue was. They said they contacted Ford Tech and were advised to check the G1 module. I didn't bother taking it back thinking this seemed to be more of a guess than a remedy. I think I'll wait a while for them to figure things out, I'm sure more problems will pop up.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
It seems that this is a common issue which leads me to believe that Ford overlooked something. I'm still waiting to hear if anyone with a 2016 model does have the capability of turning the feature OFF.

Peter

One more option not saving

Adding "Pre-collision warning sensitivity" to the list of options being reset to default...by my count, so far the list is:
Auto entry/exit
Trailer sway
Auto engine-off
Pre-collision warning sensitivity

It seems to me this is more of a software/firmware issue than hardware since there are some settings that do seem to save state.

It's fixed!

Hi everyone,

Thought you all might like some good news. There is a fix for the problem.

I took my Explorer Sport to the dealer about a month ago. They kept it for a few days, working with Ford on my complaint. They determined that the behavior of the setting was incorrect and the factory said they were going to send a replacement module. I got a call last week that the module was in and scheduled an appointment for yesterday. They installed the new module and reported that it had fixed the problem.

I took the car home, set the easy entry/exit off and left it overnight. When I started it this morning, the option remained off (as it is supposed to). :)

Additionally, I checked to confirm that the pre-collision sensitivity setting is retained if changed and it is.

The auto-engine off setting does not retain. However page 168 of the owners manual states that the option is reset each time the engine is shut off.

The trailer sway is the same. The manual on page 244 says it will reset each time the engine is switched off.

On the work order, the part that was replaced is: GU5Z*14C708*G CONTROL UNIT

Good luck,

-Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the update, it may save a lot of people a lot of headaches and time knowing which module fixed the problem!!

That should be the driver seat module that was replaced. Seems a bit odd that it had to be replaced rather than reprogrammed. So much these days can be corrected by programming but apparently there is more to the issue than that.

I took my Ex in on Wednesday, also (next to some other issues) complaining about the easy entry/exit not staying disabled. They just called me to tell me that they need the Ex longer and will possibly make an appointment with a Ford field agent, since all the "solutions" they got told by Detroit didn't work.
So I might be in for a replacement module some time soon as well.

Fixed!

Thanks Rick, replacing the seat module worked for me too. I only checked the pre-collision sensitivity once since the replacement but I think that's sticking also. Now I just have to get over the PTSD and racing through my memory to see if I turned the feature off when I turn the car off.

Moved my post to it's own thread, but couldn't see how to delete this post. My apologies.

Well, mine is fixed but it took the dealership 2.5 weeks (though not their fault). I gave them the solution recommended in this thread but they had to follow Ford's recommendations. Ford insisted that the driver seat module shouldn't have anything to do with the problem so they replaced the instrument cluster first. When that didn't work, they finally replaced the GU unit listed above.

So thankful for this forum!

Hot off the press....now fixable by reprogramming

Oct 30 2015 2171 - 2016 Explorer and Lincoln MKX - Easy Entry/Exit Feature Does Not Stay Disabled - Built On Or Before 8/24/15

Some 2016 Explorer and Lincoln MKX vehicles built on or before 8/24/2015 may exhibit an easy entry/exit feature that will not stay disabled through the instrument cluster panel. Update the driver’s seat module (DSM) to the latest level calibration using IDS release of 97.05 or higher. Make sure you are connected to the internet when entering module programming to obtain the latest updates. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraftservice.com. For warranty claiming, use causal part 14C708 and applicable 12651D labor operations in the SLTS Manual Section 10.

Did any one tried to alter the As Built data of the IPC to eliminate that feature altogether-720-01-01

Back