2016 Explorer AC Clutch Bolt Sheared Off & Oil Filter Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer AC Clutch Bolt Sheared Off & Oil Filter Question

mcdev

Reaction score
City, State
SF, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Hi everyone.

First post on the Explorer side of things. The AC in my wife's 2016 Explorer with the 2.3 Ecoboost stopped working about a month ago and I couldn't figure out why. This morning I was changing the oil and I found the clutch sitting on top of the removable skid plate with the head of it's retention bolt. So the head is sheared of and I am not sure what is the best way to remove and replace, and what bolt size/thread pitch to replace it with. Do I need to do anything more than bolt the clutch plate back to the the compressor?

The other issue I ran into was the Motorcraft oil filter that was the Motorcraft FL910S oil filter that was listed as the correct one for the vehicle was too large (thread) for the vehicle. I had to run to the store pickup a find a different filter using the generic one that was on there (the wife went to Jiffy Lube when I was out of town earlier this year). They found the Wix 51348XP to be a match and I bought it to finish the job. They didn't have a Motorcraft equivalent. All that being said, what is the correct Motorcraft filter for this application?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi everyone.

First post on the Explorer side of things. The AC in my wife's 2016 Explorer with the 2.3 Ecoboost stopped working about a month ago and I couldn't figure out why. This morning I was changing the oil and I found the clutch sitting on top of the removable skid plate with the head of it's retention bolt. So the head is sheared of and I am not sure what is the best way to remove and replace, and what bolt size/thread pitch to replace it with. Do I need to do anything more than bolt the clutch plate back to the the compressor?

The other issue I ran into was the Motorcraft oil filter that was the Motorcraft FL910S oil filter that was listed as the correct one for the vehicle was too large (thread) for the vehicle. I had to run to the store pickup a find a different filter using the generic one that was on there (the wife went to Jiffy Lube when I was out of town earlier this year). They found the Wix 51348XP to be a match and I bought it to finish the job. They didn't have a Motorcraft equivalent. All that being said, what is the correct Motorcraft filter for this application?

Rockauto shows the Motorcraft FL910S as the correct filter for the 2.3L engine. That Wix 51348 is the cross-reference part #, so possibly the wrong filter was put in the box if it didn’t fit. Regarding your sheered bolt issue, I would try using a bolt extractor kit, assuming you have enough room to get in there to drill into the remaining piece of the fastener. If I recall, those bolts have a pre-applied thread locker patch on them, so removal might be a challenge. Good luck.

Rockauto shows the Motorcraft FL910S as the correct filter for the 2.3L engine. That Wix 51348 is the cross-reference part #, so possibly the wrong filter was put in the box if it didn’t fit. Regarding your sheered bolt issue, I would try using a bolt extractor kit, assuming you have enough room to get in there to drill into the remaining piece of the fastener. If I recall, those bolts have a pre-applied thread locker patch on them, so removal might be a challenge. Good luck.

Thanks!

With regard to the oil filter, it was definitely odd. The number on the filter matched the box. Next time I'll cross reference in the store to make sure.

Do you know if the AC clutch requires a shim kit?

Thanks!
With regard to the oil filter, it was definitely odd. The number on the filter matched the box. Next time I'll cross reference in the store to make sure.
Do you know if the AC clutch requires a shim kit?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
That's odd about the filter. It is the correct one according to the Manual.

Peter

It wouldn't be the first time that a wrong filter ended up in the wrong box. I actually caught some kids years ago swapping filters around in a store where the filters were out in the open. They thought that it was funny.

On the compressor don't even try a bolt extractor kit. Odds are you will break the extractor off in the bolt even if you do get a hole drilled into the bolt. To do it properly you will need to pull the compressor and get it out to where you or someone can actually work on it. If it does indeed have a thread locker on it breaking it loose will be even more problems. You need a flat surface to start to drill a hole, I have found that left handed drill bits work best but you may still end up almost drilling the whole bolt out if it has thread locker on it.

It wouldn't be the first time that a wrong filter ended up in the wrong box. I actually caught some kids years ago swapping filters around in a store where the filters were out in the open. They thought that it was funny.

On the compressor don't even try a bolt extractor kit. Odds are you will break the extractor off in the bolt even if you do get a hole drilled into the bolt. To do it properly you will need to pull the compressor and get it out to where you or someone can actually work on it. If it does indeed have a thread locker on it breaking it loose will be even more problems. You need a flat surface to start to drill a hole, I have found that left handed drill bits work best but you may still end up almost drilling the whole bolt out if it has thread locker on it.

Thanks!

With regard to the filter, I'm definitely going to be sure to double check next time... In 25 year, that is the first time it has ever happened to me.

With the compressor, I was hoping to avoid messing with the refrigerant and try to fix it in place, but the fact that they likely used thread lock on it makes me think twice.

Any thoughts on why the head of the bolt sheared off?

Stay away from the cheaper extractor sets, the materials can be quite brittle. I bought a Snap-On extractor kit and it has been used very successfully many times. If the fastener breaks at an odd angle I will grind the end with a carbide burr in a die grinderto help the LH drill start on center. Patience is key with the extractor set.

A bit of heat helps to break down the Loctite but be careful not to melt seals or other heat sensitive materials in close proximity.

Stay away from the cheaper extractor sets, the materials can be quite brittle. I bought a Snap-On extractor kit and it has been used very successfully many times. If the fastener breaks at an odd angle I will grind the end with a carbide burr in a die grinderto help the LH drill start on center. Patience is key with the extractor set.

A bit of heat helps to break down the Loctite but be careful not to melt seals or other heat sensitive materials in close proximity.

This is where experience with broken bolts comes in handy and most home garage mechanics would have problems with it along with not having access to the proper tools.

This is where experience with broken bolts comes in handy and most home garage mechanics would have problems with it along with not having access to the proper tools.

Thanks for all the help guys. Glad I checked in here first, my initial thought last weekend was to use two pairs of ChannelLocks to get the sheared bolt out. Still debating getting an Irwin extractor kit but, at this point, I'm probably better off taking it to a shop since the system has to be purged.

Back