2016 Explorer PIU tow wire install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer PIU tow wire install

VADeputy

Reaction score
City, State
Fred, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer PIU
Hello guys and gals
New to the forum. Signed up when I ran into a issue not posted.

Soo I just installed the rear hitch and was installing the wire harness in the bumper when i realized I'm missing one of the ends to the connector. I was able to plug half into the wire hanging down, but have failed to find the other end.

I managed to find a video online where the guy installing the wire had a connector that had no wires running from it. Is this necessary for functionality?

Just FYI i tried to connect it into a very old trailer not sure if the bulbs were bad and no luck. Also the PIU had a hitch installed from the agency i got it from and they ripped it out. I really appreciate any one that can help.

Trevor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your trailer connection with a test light or voltmeter to be sure.

If you don't have the harness plug, you can just seal up the end of the t-harness not being used. There are many ways to do that, some are easily reversible and others not so much.

Welcome to the Forum Trevor.:wave:

Peter

Thanks guys for the reply.
The guy from haul said my ground was the culprit and the other connector was not required as i thought.

Trevor

Trailer wiring ugh, the only thing worse is trailer wheel bearings.

My PIU came with a tow hitch and connector. Just dandy, what could go wrong? No running lights,...........so I started trouble shooting, hooking up different trailers to different vehicles, going berserk. Finally figured out that on one of the female connectors, the tiny round cylinder of metal inside the hole, was non-existent. Replaced the whole plug of course. Along the way I bought one of these - Attwood Inline Circuit tester 14133-6, four lights indicate it worky or no worky.

It saved me from putting a brick on the accelerator and aiming it for the swamp.

Back