2016 Explorer XLT 3.5L Misfire Engine Harness | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer XLT 3.5L Misfire Engine Harness

Teamfox201

Reaction score
City, State
Orange, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Ford Explorer LTD
Hello,

The check engine light on my 2016 Ford Explorer came on, I used Forscan and the codes point to misfire on 1 and 4. Thinking spark plugs or coil, I dug in to see what's going on only to see the spark plug 4 wire is frayed, no idea what happened and I didn't move on to checking 1 since that's more involved.

Is this sending some weird signal randomly causing the misfire? What can I do to fix this, looks like the engine harness is one expensive piece.

PXL_20230514_003119347.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, if there is some slack still, I'm sure you could solder the frayed wire back together. However I don't recommend it. I would recommend getting the harness replaced. The dealer will be able to do it. Not sure about independent mechanics.

I can safely say it could be the same issue on cylinder 1. However I'd visually inspect it to confirm that.

Hello, if there is some slack still, I'm sure you could solder the frayed wire back together. However I don't recommend it. I would recommend getting the harness replaced. The dealer will be able to do it. Not sure about independent mechanics.

I can safely say it could be the same issue on cylinder 1. However I'd visually inspect it to confirm that.
Thanks for the info. I've been researching it more and it looks like I can get ignition coil pigtails to replace it. Going to try that first before spending $200+ on just the harness.

Hello,

The check engine light on my 2016 Ford Explorer came on, I used Forscan and the codes point to misfire on 1 and 4. Thinking spark plugs or coil, I dug in to see what's going on only to see the spark plug 4 wire is frayed, no idea what happened and I didn't move on to checking 1 since that's more involved.

I think this is your possible issue. Mice & Rat Problems
Good luck.

Peter

Thanks for the info. I've been researching it more and it looks like I can get ignition coil pigtails to replace it. Going to try that first before spending $200+ on just the harness.
Usually you should be able to get the pigtails. It's usually a cut and solder back together. If you don't know how to solder, you can use crimpers and heat shrink.

Usually you should be able to get the pigtails. It's usually a cut and solder back together. If you don't know how to solder, you can use crimpers and heat shrink.
Thank you. I soldered a new pigtail and so far so good after a 30 minute test drive. Wife has the car again so I'm sure I'll hear about it if it happens again. 😁

Thank you. I soldered a new pigtail and so far so good after a 30 minute test drive. Wife has the car again so I'm sure I'll hear about it if it happens again. 😁
Awesome. Was it the same issue on cylinder 1? I'd hate to hear that you'd have to take the manifold apart to get to it for nothing... 😆

Back