2016 Limited fog light question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Limited fog light question.

Lilpopester

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Limited
Hey all. This is my first post after just purchasing our 2016 Limited explorer. It's my wife's, we only drive fords lol. Anyway I noticed the headlights are hid and my fog lights are just normal bulbs, what's the reason for? I don't like that look, can I go to ford and see what kind of bulbs they put in the headlights so I can get some fog ones to match them? Thanks so much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all. This is my first post after just purchasing our 2016 Limited explorer. It's my wife's, we only drive fords lol. Anyway I noticed the headlights are hid and my fog lights are just normal bulbs, what's the reason for? I don't like that look, can I go to ford and see what kind of bulbs they put in the headlights so I can get some fog ones to match them? Thanks so much.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The headlamps are LED low beams and halogen high beams. The foglights on the 2016 model were changed to LED partway through production. They were listed as a "Late availability" item on the Platinum. They are standard on all the 2017 models. All bulb types/numbers are listed in the Owners Manual.
There are members who have changed the regular fogs to LED and have done the same with the high beams.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The headlamps are LED low beams and halogen high beams. The foglights on the 2016 model were changed to LED partway through production. They were listed as a "Late availability" item on the Platinum. They are standard on all the 2017 models. All bulb types/numbers are listed in the Owners Manual.
There are members who have changed the regular fogs to LED and have done the same with the high beams.

Peter
Thanks for the reply, I called my local ford dealership and they told
Me I hadn't to replace the whole housing and all. So when just the stock fog burns out I have to pay $300 for a re housing and bulb. Wow what a way to get money, that's dumb to me.

Thanks for the reply, I called my local ford dealership and they told
Me I hadn't to replace the whole housing and all. So when just the stock fog burns out I have to pay $300 for a re housing and bulb. Wow what a way to get money, that's dumb to me.
That doesn't sound right........

That doesn't sound right........
I'm guessing the LED housing is somewhat different since the bulb is different. I think LED uses a reflector while halogen uses projectors. That could be why putting LED in the halogen high beam results in a shorter beam.

Peter

Back