2016 Limited or Sport | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Limited or Sport

Guys we are sticking with the Limited Explorer. Keep in mind that this will be my wife's daily driver so "Knowing that you can take some Sports cars off the line, while in a HUGE SUV" doesn't do anything to sway her :).

To help sum up the purpose of the thread here are some of the differences that we noticed. The list is mostly options that are not available on the 2016 Sport but are available on the 2016 Limited.

Auto High Beam is not a sport option.
Rain sensing wipers is not a sport option.
2nd row heated seats is not a sport option.
Enhanced Active Park Assist is not a sport option.
Multi Contour Seats are not a sport option.(Lumbar is available)

I like the Sport and what it offers but to pay more and loose multiple features important to the Mrs is not worth it to us. Happy Wife-Happy Life

Thanks for the help,

Joe

Sounds like it's time to trade in your wife for a new model......just kidding.:salute:

Sounds like you made the right choice since, as you stated a few times, it will be your wife's daily driver. Have fun and enjoy(if you ever get a chance to drive it).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can start a new thread if needed but I had another question. Is there a better way to search dealer inventory than www.ford.com ? I know the dealers can but I am not confident that my dealer checks regularly since I have already ordered one. If I can find something in stock they will likely dealer trade for it and then sell the Limited I already ordered.

My big dilemma is that our 2013 Town and Country was totaled about 3 weeks ago. I ordered the 2016 Limited two weeks ago and no VIN so far. We probably would have waited for a Platinum but we have a vacation scheduled on 10-17 that cannot be rescheduled and we already have a lot of money wrapped up into the trip. Any ideas in helping me find something near central Indiana would be great. Michigan and Kentucky are ok too but we are trying to avoid Ohio and Illinois because of the front license plate.

This is what we ordered.

2016 Limited Explorer
4wd
7 Passenger
Ruby Red
Ebony Perforated
301a Package
Tow Package
Sunroof

I would suggest calling ford marketing directly 18003344375 as they can search a mile radius as opposed to zip code on website.

Got my VIN today! Is there anyway to track the process. I remember reading another member(Crystal I believe) that could get updates on the process. I tried to do a forum search but it brings up a lot of unrelated threads.

Once again any information is helpful.

Thanks,

Joe

Got my VIN today! Is there anyway to track the process. I remember reading another member(Crystal I believe) that could get updates on the process. I tried to do a forum search but it brings up a lot of unrelated threads.

Once again any information is helpful.

Thanks,

Joe
Crystal is no longer with this forum. Tricia has replaced her. Just send a PM to FordService and see if they can provide what you are looking for.
The Window Sticker is usually available to pull up 4-5 days before the build date.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I don't have a build date just yet but I will PM Fordservice to see what they can do. Thanks again

Joe

I have a 2015 Sport.

I sometimes tow a pop-up camper trailer that weighs 3200 or less, depending on how it's loaded. Tongue weight can get up to 450.

The Sport handles the tow wonderfully. With its 365hp, you barely know you're pulling anything.

By contrast, I recently got rid of a Chevy Traverse LTZ. It had 288hp. It did a reasonable job of pulling the trailer, though when going up grades it tended to downshift and hold lower gears much of the time. A few times it would suddenly drop to a gear that revved it up to over 5000 RPM's. Towing along the same road, the Explorer Sport never dropped to a lower gear than 4th. The RPM's stayed within a comfortable range, and highway tow speed was easy to maintain.

My Traverse had things like DVD, power lift gate, air conditioned seats (my Ex Sport only has heated seats), and a few other gizmos that the Sport doesn't have. But one thing the Sport does have is that it just loves to go. It's a great drive.

So if I had it to do over, yes, I would get the Sport again.

Rain sensing wipers and auto high beams are the main reasons I haven't bought a Sport. I am used to these options on my Grand Cherokee. I don't like the way Ford doesn't carry options available on lower trim models into Sport type trims. At least make them available.

Rain sensing wipers and auto high beams are the main reasons I haven't bought a Sport. I am used to these options on my Grand Cherokee. I don't like the way Ford doesn't carry options available on lower trim models into Sport type trims. At least make them available.

I think that is why they have the 403 package or whatever the top trim sport package is called.

and the separate Technology package (I honestly didn't' like the option packaging either)

but they also have the platinum model.

But the Platinum model is unavailable.

My main issue is my timeline. We have been a single car family for about almost two months since out 2013 T&C was totaled. We have a trip planned for Disney in Mid October or we would wait for a Platinum.

The 403 package is lacking several options available on the limited. If I wasn't extremely diligent in looking over window stickers and inspecting every aspect of the Sport it would have been easy to miss the fact that it is missing rain sensing wipers/auto highbeam/ and mid heated seats. If it had those and was just missing the enhanced park assist we would probably be driving one right now.

My build is scheduled for next week so I am checking for my window sticker daily. I often surprise myself with how obsessive I can be :)

Joe

Bull, how do you check for a serial number? As of yet, I haven't been scheduled.

Deant,

If you mean the VIN you can get that from your dealer. Took us 2-3 weeks after our order date to get the VIN. After you have a VIN you can check with the "Fordservice" user on this forum for a build date. Send her a PM with your VIN.

Joe

Thanks. Nothing is happening on the Platinum.

honestly I wouldn't own an explorer sport so I'd try to talk you into a limited and if you weren't going to ever tow I'd even consider the ecoboost 4.

aside from all that

have you looked at the lincoln model? (is there a lincoln model?)

Oh and don't buy a car just for a road trip. if you have to wait - wait to get what you want.

rent something - hell even better rent something you're considering and test the thing out. sure it's a bit of a cost but that's minimal over getting something and regretting it

The Sport is lacking 2 items I want-wipers and auto bright. I've considered the Limited, but I do want 4wd and the bigger engine, and I do tow a UTV in an enclosed trailer. So the beat goes on. I have tried the Lincoln but more money than I want to spend. I will wait till I get tired of waiting, then start again next year.

honestly I wouldn't own an explorer sport so I'd try to talk you into a limited and if you weren't going to ever tow I'd even consider the ecoboost 4.

aside from all that

have you looked at the lincoln model? (is there a lincoln model?)
Lincoln does not have a comparable model to the Explorer.

Peter

The Sport is lacking 2 items I want-wipers and auto bright. I've considered the Limited, but I do want 4wd and the bigger engine, and I do tow a UTV in an enclosed trailer. So the beat goes on. I have tried the Lincoln but more money than I want to spend. I will wait till I get tired of waiting, then start again next year.

well you'd be well within the towing of the base 3.5 TI-VCT. that might be a better option. I got it because unless gas goes up a lot around me, the mpg difference for the cost difference to the 2.3ecoboost didn't save money until year 3 - if that. (required 3.40+ 87 octane prices and it's currently under 2 here)

also I had 3 base v6's to choose from and 1 ecoboost - wifey didn't want red.

so there is that too, I'll be honest it's her car.

you can still get AWD, you don't need the extra cost and mpg and potential MX of the sport and you potentially won't get as many tickets.

The biggest appeal of the sport package to me is the suspension and brakes sure it has more power -goes better but a sports car it isn't and thinking it can be is just fooling yourself - get a taurus SHO or well an SRT Charger.

I sit corrected there isn't a lincoln - I really liked the MKT - that's going away with the flex - and I'm guessing to be replaced with something that's akin to the 2016 explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I promise you will wish you had the Sport..... the 3.6 naturally aspirated feels like you're trying to get a battleship moving from a stop. I got rid of my 2013 Limited for a 2016 Sport because every time I drove it I cussed it out for being such a fat hog. Couldn't get in and out of heavy traffic very well without the HP of the Sport. Now.... my wife and I just giggle EVERY time we drive it.

Back