2016 Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Limited

gcr33

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Ford Explorer Limited
I have had my 2016 Limited for about 2 months with almost all options but it did not come with the collision avoidance system.
Dash has a blank plate where the red leds go and the cruise control is standard only (never liked the adaptive cruise control. Wondering if I can just add the collision avoidance device. I had it on my 11 and 13.:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had my 2016 Limited for about 2 months with almost all options but it did not come with the collision avoidance system.
Dash has a blank plate where the red leds go and the cruise control is standard only (never liked the adaptive cruise control. Wondering if I can just add the collision avoidance device. I had it on my 11 and 13.:usa:
I don't think this question has come up before. I believe the Collision Avoidance system uses the same radar unit that the Adaptive Cruise Control uses. I doubt it would be a simple 'add-on'. It is not offered as an accessory by Ford.

Peter

also like adaptive cruise it has to tie to the ABS/Stability system and the BCM - sorry GEM, I need to remember to think Ford.

so there's data buss ties that are needed and potentially software updates or features to be turned on. That's probably the easier part honestly.

Curious how did it function on your 2013 model - was it just a warning bong and red light for when you were approaching something stopped?

also like adaptive cruise it has to tie to the ABS/Stability system and the BCM - sorry GEM, I need to remember to think Ford.

so there's data buss ties that are needed and potentially software updates or features to be turned on. That's probably the easier part honestly.

Curious how did it function on your 2013 model - was it just a warning bong and red light for when you were approaching something stopped?
When the system sensed a possible collision, the LED lights strip flashed and was visible on the lower part of the windshield. There was also an audible alarm. The audible part could be adjusted for loudness or turned OFF if I recall correctly. It sure caught your attention when it went off. Mine usually went off when the vehicle ahead was signaling a right turn and I didn't bother braking because I knew the turn would be completed before I got to that point. The system however, sensed a pending collision. The Collision Avoidance system is also tied into the braking system.

Peter

I bet you could retrofit something like that in place but it wouldn't be nearly as elegant.

those systems have now been replaced with adaptive cruise/panic brake systems. Today's car forward sensing radar system will coordinate with the car's computer systems to decelerate via lack of throttle or actual brake application. most will even come to a complete stop withing a performance distance. if collision is still pending it might even alert for your to steer right if those sensors are also included.

I'm not 100% sure about Ford's system but I know a few other are active even with the cruise control off

Back