Some issues with our new to us 2016 limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Some issues with our new to us 2016 limited

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
Hey everyone. Thanks for the add. Wife and I just picked up a 2016 Explorer limited

The 12v plug in the console is not working. Outside of the fuse any other known causes? Also the 110v outlets is getting power off and on.

Second is the Nav do we have to have THE SD card to use it or is that only for planning your route then putting it into the system. Wife said the Nav isn’t working. She’s insisting we need the maps card but I don’t have one in my bike and I can still use the Nav on it.

One last thing. Is it possible for me to reset the door code it has already been changed from factory code and we do not know the code.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Yes these are under bumper to bumper but if I can take care of it myself I will.

C1196988-68A7-4786-8678-3EC798DF1493.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the 16 you need the Nav card, it wasn't till Sync 3 in the 17s that they did away with the Nav cards. The SD card has the maps on it so without it, you have no maps. You can buy them far cheaper on Ebay.

I believe the only way to reset the door code is for a Ford dealer to scan the vehicle and see what the current code is. With that code, you can then change it.

In regards to the 12v, could be fuse, could be the unit itself. My rear 110 doesnt hold the plug in. Itmpops right out and easily replaced if needed guessing your connection may not be great if you are under 36k, bring it in for warranty.

In the 16 you need the Nav card, it wasn't till Sync 3 in the 17s that they did away with the Nav cards. The SD card has the maps on it so without it, you have no maps. You can buy them far cheaper on Ebay.

I believe the only way to reset the door code is for a Ford dealer to scan the vehicle and see what the current code is. With that code, you can then change it.

Thank you. I did see some on Amazon does it matter which card as long as it’s for Ford? I’ve seen A4, A7 and A8

According to my 2016 owners manual if you don't have the card with the factory code you should be able to go to a Ford dealer and have them get it for you. It sounds like they can pull it up by your vin number.

Here is the place in the owners manual and what it says from page 68:

You can operate the keypad with the
factory-set five-digit entry code. The code
is on the owner’s wallet card in the glove
box and is available from an authorized
dealer. You can also program up to five of
your own five-digit personal entry codes.

On the navigation card A8 should be the latest with the newest maps.

Thank you. I did see some on Amazon does it matter which card as long as it’s for Ford? I’ve seen A4, A7 and A8
Welcome to the Forum James.:wave:
The A8 is that latest updated Nav card. Any of them should work. Do you have that factory Securicode (door code)? If you do, you should be able to set your own personal code regardless of the one the previous owner set. See page 67 of your Owner's Manual. You can also erase a personalized code yourself as long as you know the factory code. You can program up to 5 different personal codes.

Peter

You can find the factory code by doing this:

1. Place first keyfob into slot in center console (ford icon facing away from engine)
2. Turn on ignition( I waited 5 seconds), turn off
3. Switch key fobs(make sure facing same way as first, Ford icon away from engine) and turn on ignition
4. Click through the warning messages and bam, factory door code!

You can find the factory code by doing this:

1. Place first keyfob into slot in center console (ford icon facing away from engine)
2. Turn on ignition( I waited 5 seconds), turn off
3. Switch key fobs(make sure facing same way as first, Ford icon away from engine) and turn on ignition
4. Click through the warning messages and bam, factory door code!
Which model years will this work for? When you say, "Turn on ignition", is that to 'Accessory' mode? Just want to clarify. Thanks.

Peter

Which model years will this work for? When you say, "Turn on ignition", is that to 'Accessory' mode? Just want to clarify. Thanks.

Peter

I did it on my 17 but pretty sure it works for 16 and up. Maybe even previous years. You are correct by accessory mode. Engine should not be running .

For key start vehicles -- go to ON, not ACC mode, do not start engine.
For IA enabled vehicles -- press start/stop button, do not put foot on brake. ("ACC mode," though Ford really misuses it on those vehicles.)

IA's "ACC" mode and that for a keyed vehicle are different. In any event, the cluster has to hit the mode for key on/engine off for this to work.

In regards to the 12v, could be fuse, could be the unit itself. My rear 110 doesnt hold the plug in. Itmpops right out and easily replaced if needed guessing your connection may not be great if you are under 36k, bring it in for warranty.

Does the Nav card have to be a certain one
I’ve seen A4, A7 and A8

I would get an A8 since that has the latest update on maps.

Well after looking into the discriptions all the A8 state 11-15 for the Explorer. Not sure if maybe their saved listing hasn’t been updated or maybe it will not work.

Welcome to the Forum James.:wave:
The A8 is that latest updated Nav card. Any of them should work. Do you have that factory Securicode (door code)? If you do, you should be able to set your own personal code regardless of the one the previous owner set. See page 67 of your Owner's Manual. You can also erase a personalized code yourself as long as you know the factory code. You can program up to 5 different personal codes.

Peter

Yes I have the factory card with the Securicode on it. I’ll look into erasing any stored codes then put our personal code in. For some reason wife could not get it to work but I used it just fine. Possibly because I disconnnected the battery to clean the terminals. (Just something I do with a new to me car) thank you for your reply.

I did it on my 17 but pretty sure it works for 16 and up. Maybe even previous years. You are correct by accessory mode. Engine should not be running .
this did not work on my '16 limited.

It's a finicky process, I will admit. It took me several times to get it to work. I would at least try a couple of times. I would think it would work.

It's a finicky process, I will admit. It took me several times to get it to work. I would at least try a couple of times. I would think it would work.
I did, multiple times, trying key1 then key2 and vice versa. No luck. Multiple comments on other forums - same situation on 16 Limited and some other Trims. Just saying - it's a good thing to try but if it doesn't work it's not necessary you at fault.

option 2 - dig into the fuse box (you need to take some bolts out and move the fuse box to a side and then use a mirror to see the code, search for a youtube howto)
option 3 - connect to OBD port and find your factory code there (or ask your dealer to that for you)

Did you try changing the code by using the Sync screen or the Securipad itself. If I recall, more members had luck using the pad.

Peter

Did you try changing the code by using the Sync screen or the Securipad itself. If I recall, more members had luck using the pad.

Peter
I don't know my original factory code.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter
I just found that tonight but haven’t messed with it yet. I’ll look into it later. I do have the oem code working.

Back