2016 PIU with no SYNC upgrade installed | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 PIU with no SYNC upgrade installed

Welcome to the Forum Steph73.:wave:
Is your Explorer a PIU (Police Interceptor Utility)? Please update your profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

Why would they do that? It doesn't make any sense. Do u know why

Ford IDS, at least with respect to the APIM (SYNC's brains) will only allow the user to program the parameters according to how the vehicle was shipped from factory. Accordingly there would be no programming available for a VIN not so equipped from the start. It would also be necessary to reprogram a few other modules for it to work--but same case--there's no programming that can be downloaded easily. Ford for right-or-wrong has never supported this kind of "upgrade," and there are some different harnesses as well.

Ford IDS, at least with respect to the APIM (SYNC's brains) will only allow the user to program the parameters according to how the vehicle was shipped from factory. Accordingly there would be no programming available for a VIN not so equipped from the start. It would also be necessary to reprogram a few other modules for it to work--but same case--there's no programming that can be downloaded easily. Ford for right-or-wrong has never supported this kind of "upgrade," and there are some different harnesses as well.

I suppose it's easy for me to talk since my PIU has SYNC, but it seems to me trying to retrofit the system to a vehicle not originally thus equipped is way more trouble than it's worth. There are any number of aftermarket solutions that at the very least don't do less than what SYNC does, and in many cases do more.

Back