2016 Sport metal clunk w video *solved | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Sport metal clunk w video *solved

bross85

Reaction score
City, State
Marietta GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Recently purchased a used 2016 explorer sport 24,000 miles. Hearing some sort of metal clunk or load rattle. I don’t think it is the abs check but would like another opinion if anyone else has heard it. Taking to ford dealer later in the week, assuming they’ll cover it under warranty if able,to duplicate the sound.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the clank only happen in reverse?

The clank appeared to happen after you went over the bump in the driveway? Does it always happen after a bump?

Happens in reverse and in drive. Usually only over bumps or slow speeds. Have heard it before from taking off from a stop (no bump)

Long shot here, but when you are standing at the front of the explorer, under the bumper on the passenger side is a metal air duct. A narrow rectangular intake. Reach down there and see if its firmly attached or hanging loose. Its just fastened with a couple of twist nuts.

Interesting, I’ll take a look at that in the am. Appreciate your insight

Interesting, I’ll take a look at that in the am. Appreciate your insight
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Hope you find that problem. If you do, please report back. Thank you.

Peter

That's definitely weird, never heard anything like that before. Sounds like something in your undercarriage might be loose or some sort of clamp missing, perhaps for the exhaust. That'll be my guess.

sounds like something hit your wheel:eek:, whatever it is it sounds like something is obviously loose

There's a site called truedelta.com which has a breakdown of cars by model year and make, etc... and people self report issues. So it's a database that grows with time. It's free for people that register their own car, so I can vouch for it... I've been using it for the past couple years. But one thing caught my eye (on a 2016 in Maryland):

Apr 2017 / 45161 km: Had a loud popping noise in the front end when going over bumps. Dealer said it was the transmission mount. That didn't fix the issue so they went over the front suspension and tightened everything up and it fixed the issue. They had no clue what specific part was loose.

........Apr 2017 / 45161 km: Had a loud popping noise in the front end when going over bumps. Dealer said it was the transmission mount. That didn't fix the issue so they went over the front suspension and tightened everything up and it fixed the issue. They had no clue what specific part was loose.
I seem to recall reading that in a post on this Forum.

Peter (also a TrueDelta member)

This ended up being a bad Thrust Washer
Part #
8L3Z-6A341-A

This ended up being a bad Thrust Washer
Part #
8L3Z-6A341-A
There was a TSB 13-5-14 that came out in 2013 I believe, that had to do with 'thrust washers'. There are also several posts on it. Glad to see you had the issue resolved.

Peter

There was a TSB 13-5-14 that came out in 2013 I believe, that had to do with 'thrust washers'. There are also several posts on it. Glad to see you had the issue resolved.

Peter
part listed in that TSB is BB5Z-7G273-B Washer - Thrust.

OP can you see if the dealer notes specified performing a TSB? Should read something like "looked up vehicle in OASIS, performed TSB .........."

OP: I am going to have my dealer look into this as another user directed me here because I was having the same exact noise and they couldn't find anything wrong. Did they align your car after this? Was it covered under warranty or did you have to pay?

That noise sounds exactly like a removable aluminum jack handle being dropped on the ground lol.

Long shot here, but when you are standing at the front of the explorer, under the bumper on the passenger side is a metal air duct. A narrow rectangular intake. Reach down there and see if its firmly attached or hanging loose. Its just fastened with a couple of twist nuts.
I have a 2016 explorer making this exact noise, could you describe where to reach for this? It's odd but I have a good ability to locate where the noise is coming from and its exactly where you are describing... that or ball joints...

I have a 2016 explorer making this exact noise, could you describe where to reach for this? It's odd but I have a good ability to locate where the noise is coming from and its exactly where you are describing... that or ball joints...
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The air duct is just where he described. It is behind the cutout in the lower bumper facia on the passenger side.

Peter

Back