• Register Today It's free!

2017 explorer chirp

gboston617

Reaction score
City, State
Boston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
I hear an intermittent chirping sound when driving under 30 mph. It is not all the time. Typically hear it after driving for 15-20 minutes. When i step on the brakes the noise stops. When i release the brake the chip returns. I had a brake inspection completed yesterday and the mechanic said rotors and pads were in great shape.

Any ideas what is causing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I really don't have an answer. Are you saying it goes away when over 30 mph or is it that you just can't hear it due to increased noise?

Peter

I really don't have an answer. Are you saying it goes away when over 30 mph or is it that you just can't hear it due to increased noise?

Peter
Hi Peter - I tried to replicate the noise today on my way to work and had no luck. I believe the noise goes away completely but will test it out next time I hear it to confirm.

Thanks,
G

Hi Peter - I tried to replicate the noise today on my way to work and had no luck. I believe the noise goes away completely but will test it out next time I hear it to confirm.

Thanks,
G

Peter

The only way I am able to replicate the noise is by driving on the highway for 10-15 minutes then coming off the exit the noise becomes noticeable. I think the noise goes away when driving over 20-30 mph. I opened the door and no sound, but when i slowed back down the noise was back. The noise sounds like metal on metal but I could be wrong on that.

I have a video of the sound. Maybe that can help identify the issue. This is the sound when my foot is off the brakes.

I will try to attach it to this message.

The only way I am able to replicate the noise is by driving on the highway for 10-15 minutes then coming off the exit the noise becomes noticeable. I think the noise goes away when driving over 20-30 mph. I opened the door and no sound, but when i slowed back down the noise was back. The noise sounds like metal on metal but I could be wrong on that.

I have a video of the sound. Maybe that can help identify the issue. This is the sound when my foot is off the brakes.
View attachment 372062
I will try to attach it to this message.
Hello, I hope you are well!

Did you ever find out what this is?

My 2017 XLT v6 is making a similar sound under similar conditions when I coast but the sound goes away when I apply the brake or push the brake all the way down. But then it slowly starts up again.

Hello, I hope you are well!

Did you ever find out what this is?

My 2017 XLT v6 is making a similar sound under similar conditions when I coast but the sound goes away when I apply the brake or push the brake all the way down. But then it slowly starts up again.

Peter

That definitely sounds like brakes to me. Maybe the slides aren't greased in the calipers? The pads clips could also be loose and dragging on the rotor.

If the brakes are new they may also make a high pitch sound until broken-in.

I agree with Mguy, sounds like it's the brakes.

Hello everyone, I hope all are well!

My brakes are okay; they are new. I tried to get mechanics to look at my wheels, but they couldn't reproduce it :(

So the sound was really obnoxious one day and I got the idea to concentrate the high pressure water hose at the car wash onto the wheels. I think something was caught in there scraping against the wheel! It's been quiet for about 40-50 miles and a few days so far

Hello everyone, I hope all are well!

My brakes are okay; they are new. I tried to get mechanics to look at my wheels, but they couldn't reproduce it :(

So the sound was really obnoxious one day and I got the idea to concentrate the high pressure water hose at the car wash onto the wheels. I think something was caught in there scraping against the wheel! It's been quiet for about 40-50 miles and a few days so far
I am having this same issue with my 2017 XLT V6. When I coast but the sound goes away when I apply the brake or push the brake all the way down. But then it slowly starts up again. My mechanic at the Ford dealership said my brakes are fine as well and couldn’t find a problem. Has anyone found a solution for this?

Sounds like brakes to me too (based on the video), but if not brakes, then given other symptoms, wheel bearing.

Brake squeal, an inspection doesn't necessarily find a problem unless it has been happening a long time and caused uneven wear, rather the problem is the noise and you put on a pad with a built on shim behind the pad or put some goop on the pad backing where the caliper piston contacts it.

What kind of goop? They make brake pad goop especially for this, or some people just use brake (high temp) grease... but if you use silicone based brake grease, forget about using the aerosol can spray-on goop later because nothing will stick to the back of the pad after it's had silicone grease put on. That's not all bad, it means that if silicone grease works, some residue of it is there for a long time and if at some point down the road you need to add more, you add more. ;)

I have this exact problem. Been having it for 6 months now. All the wheel hubs are new, 2 replaced before I bought the truck and I replaced 2 myself, along with new brakes all the way around. It's been driving me nuts. Anyone solves this, please let me know.

Jiffy Lube still hasn't been able to figure this out.

Welcome to the Forum Orange 17. :wave:

Peter

Like mentioned earlier, check the piston contact on the pad plate. Any moving part should be frictionless so if you getting noises it probably needs lube/grease on the pads or slides or all the above

Like mentioned earlier, check the piston contact on the pad plate. Any moving part should be frictionless so if you getting noises it probably needs lube/grease on the pads or slides or all the above
Whelp, time to wait for the bosses to leave so I can bring out a forklift and some tools.

Thank you! I'll give this a try

Hello everyone, hope you are all well in 2023.

Just wanted to give an update: After the mechanic found a broken caliper and fixed it, the chirp went away the vehicle feels so much smoother when coasting. I bought the 2017 used in 2020 (I suspect it had issues with the caliper then) but it feels even smoother now in 2023 compared to when I first bought it; the squeak seems completely gone

Back