• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

2017 Explorer Colors

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
Not for me. I prefer the lighter colours so washing the vehicle isn't as big a deal.:D Still leaning to White Gold after I checked out an Escape in that colour last week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

kmarnes

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I don't think lighter colors makes a car look cleaner when dirty except possibly in locales that suffer long brutal winters with lots of road salt -- oh wait, that is you, isn't it?! ;). It's more of a "how far away from dingy street color gray is your car color". Black cars are hideous to keep clean. White cars are even more hideous to keep clean. You never technically have to wash a gray car. It's all about the RGB difference. Also metallic paints hide dirt better than flat colors, so the platinum white on a ford is a better color than a flat white on a CRV. We have a flat white CRV.

Magnetic gray wins for laziest possible car washing color. White and black loses outright. Smoked quartz is pretty close to black so trailing the pack, but other colors will fare better. Let's see how long I can go without washing my car before it starts to bug me?

PS: I lived in Ottawa for a couple years. I have experienced your winters. I was there for Ice Storm '97. That was fun.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
My 2011 Ex was Platinum white and the current MKT is Crystal Champagne ( a kind of white/beige) and neither show the light dirt/dust that tends to accumulate. Also the light coating of salt it accumulates in Winter isn't as noticeable from a distance compared to darker colours. My Silver Metallic Highlander was much the same. Anyway, that's been my experiences with those colours, plus the outside tend to stay cooler than darker ones. I've washed the MKT twice this Spring/Summer and it still looks clean, except fro a few suicidal bug splatters.
Just did some browsing and according to one article the colour I have now (Champagne) is the top colour for low maintenance.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjFx-69q9_OAhWDKCYKHfpVA2oQFggbMAA&url=http://www.best-auto-detailing-tips.com/car-paint-colors.html&usg=AFQjCNEr-BsbSo3YGqA_UA1RsZIIsNvGeA&sig2=MiqhpkYmeYeHlT9IAeIo_A
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjFx-69q9_OAhWDKCYKHfpVA2oQFggiMAE&url=http://www.acecars.net/?p=845&usg=AFQjCNHXJIlhrcBT1kPsUAXdsOKK4u5cXg&sig2=tSgHe1On0cWsHOxt6MFibA

Last edited:

Napalm

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
so wait a tick are you saying the Ford GT350 wheels fit the explorer?

kmarnes

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Good reads on the paint articles, learned a few things. And they were right. Having owned a black Jeep Commander in the past, I would never want to go back to a black car, although I mostly drove that car while I lived in California and it wasn't too bad because it never rained. I do think color maintenance is very locale based. Vancouver can be quite rainy at times, and white cars do not fare well, but as the articles say -- grays and silvers do quite well in all conditions. I could never own a car that was a champagne color and given the rarity of that color on the road, I'm not the only one.

I bought smoked quartz knowing it would be a tough color to keep looking clean, but it's at least 20% more forgiving than black!

PS: Anyone know why the forums are showing up in bold text? It's normal when editing. But once I submit, it's bold...and so is everyone else's posts.

steve04KU

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
Crystal Champgne

DSC_0542_001.JPG

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer SPORT
Smoked Quartz is very nice but it's the blue tinge I dont like........Im going shadow black yet again for Explorer number 4.........hard to keep clean but looks the best on a sunny day.

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer SPORT

supr squirrel

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'17 XLT
@peterk9

Just thought I'd tell you just how wrong I was about the White Gold color. As I said earlier in the thread I based my initial comments on the 'build your Explorer' link at Ford.com. Once I saw a picture I realized it wasn't nearly as ugly as I thought. :) Anyway, today while in town to pick up my oldest boy from preschool I saw a really sharp Explorer coming at me from the opposite direction. And as it passed me that's when I realized it was White Gold. It was sharp. Really sharp. I know I said that color 'wasn't really my thing', but had one of those been on the lot when we bought ours I likely would have really considered it.

So, in short, you have good taste, sir. :)

Floatman

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 EX, Ltd, 300A, V6
I've got a request if anybody out there has a White Gold Explorer. Could you post a photo or two? I'm picking colours from the 2017 brochure, because my dealer didn't have any on the lot in that colour.
I like the less popular colours for my vehicles, just to have a bit of individuality.
My present and previous F150s show that;

Any help would be appreciated

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
I've got a request if anybody out there has a White Gold Explorer. Could you post a photo or two? I'm picking colours from the 2017 brochure, because my dealer didn't have any on the lot in that colour.
I like the less popular colours for my vehicles, just to have a bit of individuality.
My present and previous F150s show that;

Any help would be appreciated
I thought you'd never ask.:D

http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...lorer-photo-thread.441370/page-2#post-3579658

Peter

Tom Champagne

Reaction score
City, State
St. Joseph MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited 4WD
My wife just picked up a white gold limited in April. I wasn't thrilled at first but after clay barring sealing and waxing it looks much better. Now I just have to get the emblems off without her noticing it

Floatman

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 EX, Ltd, 300A, V6
My wife just picked up a white gold limited in April. I wasn't thrilled at first but after clay barring sealing and waxing it looks much better. Now I just have to get the emblems off without her noticing it
Many Thanks!
As a result of those photos, I contacted the salesman and will be meeting him tomorrow to finalize the sale. I love the colour!

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
Many Thanks!
As a result of those photos, I contacted the salesman and will be meeting him tomorrow to finalize the sale. I love the colour!
Happy to help.