2017 Explorer sport, small oil leak, doesn't seem to get fixed. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer sport, small oil leak, doesn't seem to get fixed.

Hi there,
Sorry for the long message, I'm just at wits end.
Maybe someone else has had a similar oil leak, and got it resolved...
I will leave out all of the frustration and lack of assistance from Ford motor co. and the dealer, at this point.

We have a 2017 Explorer sport with just over 18000 miles. At around 17000, I noticed a few spots of oil, here and there, on the garage floor. I crawled under the vehicle, and notice the bottom of the engine was wet with oil, mostly centered at the plastc flywheel cover. We took the car to the dealership, and they looked at said it looks like it was the rear main seal.

Repair 1: They replaced the rear main seal (so they stated), and put a little RTC around where the engine meets the transmission. A few days later, the bottom of the engine was wet with oil and a drop or 2 each day ended up on the garage floor. We took the car back to the dealership, they said it looks like the oil is coming from the oil pan.

Repair 2: They pulled the oil pan, resealed it with rtv. They replaced the turbo line seals.
A few days later the bottom of the engine was wet with oil, and a couple of new drops of oil each day on the garage floor. We contacted the dealership, they asked us to drop the car off, so they can address it correctly this time. The wanted take their time and do it right.

Repair 3: We dropped the explorer off on a Tuesday. They explainded to me that ford mo. co. wanted them to check the block to see if there was a leak in one of the oil channels. If there wasl, they were to replace the engine. Over 1 week later later on a Friday, they said that it was the rear-main seal plate (covers the crank). They got the part in then next Monday. I stopped by the dealer and spoke to the technician. I got there just after he had replaced the plate and put the flywheel on. I took a look at the old plate, and it appeared it wasnt fully sealed with rtv. I took their word for it, and headed on my way to work.
3 days later, we got a call to pick up the vechicle. We were assured that they got the leak this time.

Repair4 coming ?....
My wife gets the Explorer on Thursday, drives home (about 8 miles), drives the vehicle to and from work on Friday ( 18 miles total). Sunday Morning, she pulled the Explorer out of the garage, and I noticed a new drop of oil on the floor! I jack up the vehicle, notice the bottom of the eninge is wet with oil (at the seam again between the engine and transmission), centered at the flywheel cover again. I took photos of the leaking, and proceeeded to the dealer on Monday. I showed the service manager the photos, and they where at a loss, quite dumbfounded, and offered no explanation. I understand they tried their best.
They want us to take the car in again. They've had it for a total of 17 days for the past month and a half.

Even if we wanted to leverage the Lemon law, we are out of luck. Ford will not respect the Lemon law,(after hearing from Ford MoCo), becuase we had 18,0012 miles at the time of them repairing it the 3rd time. NY Lemon law is only good for up to 18,0000! miles. If the dealer would offer a replacement vehicle, I do not want to be on the hook to pay the difference.

My wife loved the car, but due to this issue, she doesnt want it now. I'm hoping it can be fixed at least so I can trade it in or sell it.

Question: Has anyone else have had a similar leak, that may have been fixed, for good?

Thank you,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi there,
Sorry for the long message, I'm just at wits end.
Maybe someone else has had a similar oil leak, and got it resolved...
I will leave out all of the frustration and lack of assistance from Ford motor co. and the dealer, at this point.

We have a 2017 Explorer sport with just over 18000 miles. At around 17000, I noticed a few spots of oil, here and there, on the garage floor. I crawled under the vehicle, and notice the bottom of the engine was wet with oil, mostly centered at the plastc flywheel cover. We took the car to the dealership, and they looked at said it looks like it was the rear main seal.

Repair 1: They replaced the rear main seal (so they stated), and put a little RTC around where the engine meets the transmission. A few days later, the bottom of the engine was wet with oil and a drop or 2 each day ended up on the garage floor. We took the car back to the dealership, they said it looks like the oil is coming from the oil pan.

Repair 2: They pulled the oil pan, resealed it with rtv. They replaced the turbo line seals.
A few days later the bottom of the engine was wet with oil, and a couple of new drops of oil each day on the garage floor. We contacted the dealership, they asked us to drop the car off, so they can address it correctly this time. The wanted take their time and do it right.

Repair 3: We dropped the explorer off on a Tuesday. They explainded to me that ford mo. co. wanted them to check the block to see if there was a leak in one of the oil channels. If there wasl, they were to replace the engine. Over 1 week later later on a Friday, they said that it was the rear-main seal plate (covers the crank). They got the part in then next Monday. I stopped by the dealer and spoke to the technician. I got there just after he had replaced the plate and put the flywheel on. I took a look at the old plate, and it appeared it wasnt fully sealed with rtv. I took their word for it, and headed on my way to work.
3 days later, we got a call to pick up the vechicle. We were assured that they got the leak this time.

Repair4 coming ?....
My wife gets the Explorer on Thursday, drives home (about 8 miles), drives the vehicle to and from work on Friday ( 18 miles total). Sunday Morning, she pulled the Explorer out of the garage, and I noticed a new drop of oil on the floor! I jack up the vehicle, notice the bottom of the eninge is wet with oil (at the seam again between the engine and transmission), centered at the flywheel cover again. I took photos of the leaking, and proceeeded to the dealer on Monday. I showed the service manager the photos, and they where at a loss, quite dumbfounded, and offered no explanation. I understand they tried their best.
They want us to take the car in again. They've had it for a total of 17 days for the past month and a half.

Even if we wanted to leverage the Lemon law, we are out of luck. Ford will not respect the Lemon law,(after hearing from Ford MoCo), becuase we had 18,0012 miles at the time of them repairing it the 3rd time. NY Lemon law is only good for up to 18,0000! miles. If the dealer would offer a replacement vehicle, I do not want to be on the hook to pay the difference.

My wife loved the car, but due to this issue, she doesnt want it now. I'm hoping it can be fixed at least so I can trade it in or sell it.

Question: Has anyone else have had a similar leak, that may have been fixed, for good?

Thank you,

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
As asked by peelman, can you tell where the leak is coming from? Are you sure it wasn't spilled oil from the oil change you just had done? If it is a very slow leak is it worth the repair cost? Did you notice any oil on the ground before was done?

Peter
Peter, Took my 2017 Explorer to have oil changed last week. While it was up on lift, I was asked to come out and see something. The bottom of transmission was wet with oil ( clear yellowish). The Explorer only has 18500 miles and has been maintained. No obvious leak. No oil spot on concrete drive where it parks at home. Going to take to dealer later in September. Any help?

That's low mileage so I'm curious how often do you change the oil and other fluids? I imagine that car sits around a lot barely average 4k miles a year...

Peter, Took my 2017 Explorer to have oil changed last week. While it was up on lift, I was asked to come out and see something. The bottom of transmission was wet with oil ( clear yellowish). The Explorer only has 18500 miles and has been maintained. No obvious leak. No oil spot on concrete drive where it parks at home. Going to take to dealer later in September. Any help?
Are you sure it was engine oil? Seeing that is was due for an oil change, I'd be surprised that it was "clear". Any chance it could have been coolant?

Peter

That's low mileage so I'm curious how often do you change the oil and other fluids? I imagine that car sits around a lot barely average 4k miles a year...
This was 5th engine oil change. It has been on 4 - 500 mile trips and one 4 thousand mile trip. I did not know it had a transmission dip stick till this happened. Ford really hid it on this engine. Transmission oil on dip stick looks clear and about 5/8 between min and max. No oil spot on concrete under where Explorer parked. Has not been on a 500 mile trip since early May of this year. I was getting it ready for another 4000 mile trip when I found this problem.

Back