2017 explorer with 127k miles. Would you? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 explorer with 127k miles. Would you?

suzook

Reaction score
City, State
ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
So my lease is up on my Durango, and I'm trying to get into something reasonable with no payment. I have a lead on a mint condition 2017 explorer with sport package with 127k miles. Has the v6, and all the bells and whistles. I've owned the same exact vehicle before the Durango, and was happy with it. I'm more concerned about the mileage. Looking for some input and thoughts. Appreciate it. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With an ESP yes, mine just saved me about 4k for a water pump, motor mounts and lower control arms. Went out at 91k.

If the internal water pump has never been changed, that would be one area of concern as well as well as how the PTU has been maintained regarding fluid changes. Are you able to get the maintenance records for it to see if the general maintenance has been done such as transmission fluid and spark plug replacements?

Peter

No esp, but will inquire about maintenance, and proof of it. Thanks

No service records, guess I will pass.

No service records, guess I will pass.
Have you pulled a Carfax report on it? If not, this can give you a lot of good information regarding maintenance, accidents and if it has lived its life in the rust belt or in less abusive climates. I do this for every car I, or family members, intend to purchase. You can get a Carfax repot at the link below for $5.99. One thing I will say is that with 127k miles, this vehicle might not be a bad deal. If you change ALL the fluids (coolant, transmission, PTU and rear differential if it is AWD, brake fluid flush, power steering fluid), there is a good chance that it will run for many more miles. Other than the water pump issue the 3.5L V6 is a very reliable engine. Also, check for any coolant leakage from the weep hole on the timing cover. This would indicate if the water pump is going out. If this is the twin turbo model, I wouldn't buy it. The reliability of the turbo system in these vehicles is not good. Especially if proper maintenance hasn't been done like religious 5k, or less, oil changes.

The 2015 Edge my wife drives has been a good car for the most part which share the same drive train as the Explorer. The biggest issue with it was the transmission control module that was replaced under warranty at 75k miles. It has 115k miles now and is out of warranty. This said, it has seen good maintenance with two transmission services and the PTU has had 3-4 services. At 100k the rear differential was serviced. I change the oil every 5k miles with full synthetic. Since the transmission control module was replaced, we haven't had another repair. I do keep a close eye on the water pump by monitoring the coolant level in the reservoir. If it ever drops even 1/4 inch the cooling system will be scrutinized to find where the leak it located. Typically a water pump replacement is between $1,800-$2,500 depending on where you are located. I wouldn't take it to a dealer because they usually charge a ridiculous fee to do this repair.

It says Sport model so that would be TT. It's like buying any used vehicle with that many miles, look it over and you will be able to tell what kind of maintenance has been done. As already noted expect to put some money into the vehicle for fluid changes and other items to keep it going another 100k but they are solid vehicles that can easily go to 300k.

It says Sport model so that would be TT. It's like buying any used vehicle with that many miles, look it over and you will be able to tell what kind of maintenance has been done. As already noted expect to put some money into the vehicle for fluid changes and other items to keep it going another 100k but they are solid vehicles that can easily go to 300k.
I don't see the turbos lasting much longer unless they have had meticulous oil changes. The waste gates is what typically fails on them and when they go the entire turbo needs replaced. A turbo system adds a lot of complexity, additional failure points and can make any number of repairs much more expensive.

The Sport is the nicer vehicle IMO but the Durango is certainly easier to work on and cost less to repair.

The transverse twin turbo Ecoboost engine is really stuffed into the Explorer making repairs really time consuming and more complex compared to other engines. If you have mechanical skills and comfortable doing your own maintenance then I would certainly go for it. My Sport has 150k its daily driven and looks/drives like a new car but I did have to replace all the usual failure points already mentioned.

Back