2017+ Ford enables wireless Android Auto/ CarPlay | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017+ Ford enables wireless Android Auto/ CarPlay

Isam Lamarius

Reaction score
City, State
LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
18' Explorer
Got a newsletter, that said the 2022 AI Box is launching, that enables wireless CarPlay and Android Auto, also allowing massive apps download to the car.

Their promo is on! With 15% Off on all wireless CarPlay and Android Auto

Wireless CarPlay

AI Box

ford.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was blown away by the fact that Ford did not offer wireless connections on our '20 Explorer.

I was blown away by the fact that Ford did not offer wireless connections on our '20 Explorer.
That’s true. It seems the CarPlay dongle has this problem well solved.

It's cool that allows download apps to the car. Just placed an order.

Will keep updating once I got it.

How do I know if my 18 xlt has carplay?

Perhaps this might help.

Peter
I don't have an iphone so I can't try this. The box says it requires apple carplay and then lets you use android auto, which is why I was interested.
I just don't know how I can tell if I have carplay.

Tom

It says with Android, use bluetooth instead of a cord. I'm not familiar with this since I only use Bluetooth to sync my phone for calls. I just use the vehicle's navigation and radio features.

Peter

How do I know if my 18 xlt has carplay?
CarPlay’s on F150 2017+, the easy way to find out if your car has CarPlay,

plug the USB cable into the CarPlay port and connect to your iPhone

Go phone setting - general- CarPlay.

Just confirm this, and the standard box will help you to make it wireless.

Has anyone used this device with an iPhone and confirm that you can stream Netflix, etc.. as it claims (with just an iPhone)?

Yeah, that's my point. BTW, the wireless box has this well solved.
There's a 15% coupon I received, not Sure it's sharable. You may have a try.

Coupon: SMART15

There are tons of boxes out there that do this. Whoever posted this is a new member and seems to know an awful lot about it, so I'm sucpicious that this is a plant by whoever runs that website.

Check out the YouTube channel CarPlayLife. He does in depth reviews of all the different boxes. Some only run carplay, some are like this one with an android back end. There is a huge range of quality with these things so do your research.

There are tons of boxes out there that do this. Whoever posted this is a new member and seems to know an awful lot about it, so I'm sucpicious that this is a plant by whoever runs that website.

Check out the YouTube channel CarPlayLife. He does in depth reviews of all the different boxes. Some only run carplay, some are like this one with an android back end. There is a huge range of quality with these things so do your research.
Posts like this stimulate the need to look further at long term use, Should this last 3-5 years buried in a console of a car for a bunch of heat and cold yearly season changes?

Posts like this stimulate the need to look further at long term use, Should this last 3-5 years buried in a console of a car for a bunch of heat and cold yearly season changes?
I've been using a device like this with mine for about two years, kept in the storage bin under the dash year round i the South. No issues thus far.

I've been using a device like this with mine for about two years, kept in the storage bin under the dash year round i the South. No issues thus far.
Which one did you use and I'm guessing if it works do not try and update it on purpose?
It says with Android, use Bluetooth instead of a cord. I'm not familiar with this since I only use Bluetooth to sync my phone for calls. I just use the vehicle's navigation and radio features.

Peter
I did too untill carplay was my only navigation. 2 dealeships later I was able to find out my antenna base was the culprit.

Back