Alternative to Sync for wireless CarPlay and android auto, portable display. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alternative to Sync for wireless CarPlay and android auto, portable display.

DHG2496

Reaction score
City, State
Fruitport, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
14 Explorer PIU 3.5EB
Like many of you I’ve contemplated doing an expensive screen swap or metra kit with a double din android head unit and the cost and complication just doesn’t make sense.

Has anyone tried the carpuride or similar Amazon/eBay knock offs? (Amazon link for a 9” model)They are dash mounted Android screens with built in android auto and car play and also have external backup cam available and some have dash cams too. For audio put they have Aux or FM tuner for easy audio out to the stock stereo. Pic below.

I was thinking of trying one and maybe seeing if I could make a 3D printed housing to fit in the storage bin in the top of the PIU dash for a cleaner install on the dash.

What do you all think, anyone try one? worth the experiment for a $125? I’m thinking being able to leave the stock controls and head unit and just add this might be a great cheap option with less headache.

61FqmyGf2vL._AC_UF350,350_QL80_.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Like many of you I’ve contemplated doing an expensive screen swap or metra kit with a double din android head unit and the cost and complication just doesn’t make sense.

Has anyone tried the carpuride or similar Amazon/eBay knock offs? (Amazon link for a 9” model)They are dash mounted Android screens with built in android auto and car play and also have external backup cam available and some have dash cams too. For audio put they have Aux or FM tuner for easy audio out to the stock stereo. Pic below.

I was thinking of trying one and maybe seeing if I could make a 3D printed housing to fit in the storage bin in the top of the PIU dash for a cleaner install on the dash.

What do you all think, anyone try one? worth the experiment for a $125? I’m thinking being able to leave the stock controls and head unit and just add this might be a great cheap option with less headache.

View attachment 442885
Hi,
How was your experiense with it so far?

Hi,
How was your experiense with it so far?
Thanks for asking, I've been meaning to post a reply. I found a very cheap one of the 10 inch wide models, there are ton of sellers selling the same exact 2 monitors, one with a dash cam and one without. Since this was more of an experiment, I went without the dash cam. Mine will still support a backup camera if I want to add one later.

First, the thing is great for what I wanted, car play and putting Waze or Maps on my dash. The 10inch wide-screen model is pretty much the perfect size to mount on the dash in the tray area of the PIU (video below). Wireless carplay syncs up after a few seconds once it's booted up. I also use spotify for music on road trips which is great. The Audio isn't fantastic, but I'm using the FM tuner option and it's not the best sounding audio, but overall not terrible.

I had hoped to wire this in via the AUX for better audio, but going in I saw feedback that many of these units had a lot of noise on the AUX and required a filter. Mine has that, and it's quite noticeable and normal listening volumes. Also, The aux input on my PIU has always been pretty quite so you have to crank up the volume pretty high. I was thinking about trying a different power plug/source to see if the 12v power to USB C cable they provide is creating the noise of if it's the unit itself. I still think it would be cool to build a housing to go over it and also run the USB-C behind the dash and have it come out the top rather than use the 12v from the console and have that wire hanging there all the time.

Here is a really crappy and quick video I made to show how it looks on the dash.

I didnt' add any music (copyright on Youtube) and no narration at this point. I might have to do more of a review.

I forgot to mention that using this for calls is pretty difficult, the screen really needs its own external microphone. My wife said it's pretty hard to hear me when going down the highway while I'm talking to her through this. Given how far away the dash is from the driver's seat I'm not surprised/ I'm not sure that is supported on the model I purchased, so might be worth checking to see there are similar devices that offer external mic support for a little more.

But having a mic in the screen is nice since they just mandated hands free driving here and I can just say "Hey Siri...." to make texts, calls or play music, etc. without having to hit a button or pick up my phone.

Back