2017 Ford Explorer Platinum (test drive) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Ford Explorer Platinum (test drive)

kmarnes

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Hi I just test drove this car yesterday, and despite my perceptions of Ford, I was very impressed with the car. Totally loaded, it's about $55k Canadian and while it's not as nice or refined as the 2017 Audi Q7, the Q7 is over $80k. So saving $25k to make a few sacrifices is definitely worth considering.

I pretty much liked everything about the car -- exterior, interior, aesthetics. Of particular note, I really liked the blue "tron" lighting inside the car, in the cup holders etc. Also loved the illuminated door sills, also in tron blue. I loved that it had multiple outlets for both USB and 3-prong power plugs, and tons of cubby space.

However what I really didn't like was the 6-speed transmission and the turbo lag. Compared to other cars I've driven, it's pretty rough around the edges... clunky, slow to react. Of course, when it goes... it goes like stink, and it has a nice meaty engine note. If it came with a ZF-8, I'd be in love with it, I think. Anyone else feel similarly?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, meant to post it in the discussion thread. Can someone move it for me?

Keep in mind, the transmission is adaptive and will have smoother/more appropriate shifts in time. They have to learn a bit about your driving style and the mechanical variances of the particular application.

I'm somewhat happy these vehicles have a 6 speed (for now) as it's a proven powertrain. I didn't want to be one of the first people to try an 7/8/9/10 speed.

As for turbo lag, I'm surprised you feel much as the Ford EcoBoost platform is generally a nearly neglible turbo lag platform.

The supposed lag, is probably just due to the vehicle being an automatic.
These twin turbos are efficient as can be.

Thanks for the replies. Did not realize about adaptive transmission. Read up on it, sounds a little gimmicky to me, but I can see how it could fudge things up for a test drive car. Like I said, I could get used to it. 6 speed is definitely crude compared to a ZF-8 which is widely considered to be the perfect balance in the more recent German offerings, even compared to DSG. When I test drove the Q7, it was significantly snappier -- faster, cleaner shifting. It's all relative and it's definitely something I could feel. When you gun the Q7, it totally goes. When you gun the Explorer, it takes longer to figure things out. But none of this stuff really matters too much in every day practical city driving.

I looked up some of the numbers:

Explorer Platinum ($55k)
4 doors, 7 passengers, four-wheel drive; 16/22 mpg city/hwy
3.5-liter turbocharged V-6 engine; 365 hp, 350 lb-ft; 6-speed automatic transmission
4901 pounds
0-60 time: 6.0 seconds

Q7 ($80k)
4 doors, 7 passengers, all-wheel drive; 19/25 mpg city/hwy (est)
3.0-liter supercharged V-6 engine; 333 hp, 325 lb-ft; 8-speed automatic transmission
4938 pounds
0-60 time: 5.5 seconds

So there it is. The Q7 is faster because it uses a supercharged engine. Supercharged engines eat gas but are faster than turbos which require time to spool up. But somehow the smaller displacement engine and heavier weight, and the 8-speed, the Q7 still is significantly faster and has better fuel economy. You can really feel the difference between these two cars. So that's where I was coming from.

But I can't realistically justify the price of a Q7, so I'm considering a purchase on the Explorer. I know I'll be happy with an Explorer, but the Q7 is a superior car at a significantly higher price. Q7 has other significant negatives too -- mainly interior cubby space was seriously lacking. Center console can barely stow anything at all, and the conductive phone charger is barely big enough for a iPhone without a case. I also really appreciated the Explorer interior lighting and illuminated door sills, and numerous USB and power plugs.

Couple of things that might help. Most transmissions are adaptive nowadays. Seeing as the PCM is computer controlled, they adapt to your driving. In some cases, people pull the appropriate fuse to reset so that it resets and becomes more aggressive.

As for Ford and Audi, not exactly the cross shopping, however, I picked a 16 Platinum up for $48 last friday and so far love it. I ve had them all, Durango, GC etc. This runs nice. Most Audi buyers lease then turn them in before the warranty expires........

Comes down to whether you want to save $25K - maybe thats not a consideration, it was for me.

It may also react differently or hold gears more to your liking with the transmission in "Sport" instead of "Drive". But to be fair, the outgoing Audi Supercharged v6 is just a fantastic motor, top to bottom.

And I would be Magiaone is spot-on, you can probably get in well under $55k

And the Blue can even change color......gimicky, yes....but fun nonetheless. (Orange is the way to go)

My recommendation...buy the explorer and a used S4. Then you get the motor and the explorer!

I'm somewhat happy these vehicles have a 6 speed (for now) as it's a proven powertrain. I didn't want to be one of the first people to try an 7/8/9/10 speed.

It's actually starting to become the Achilles Heel in these vehicles. It's one of the sloppiest, crudest shifting transmissions in this class. Hands down.

The 8 speed ZF and Aisin make all the difference in the world. I really, really like my wife's Explorer, but I hate the transmission. I'd much rather drive my Touareg with the Aisin 8 or my S5 with the DSG 7. Yes, the Touareg and S5 are RWD centric. But there are really good FWD centric, transverse engine 8 speed transmissions on the market.

I also feel that any lag you might have felt on your test drive was due to the transmission and not turbo lag. It's torque management by the PCM being employed. Other than an occasional dead spot when you stab the throttle thru low speed turns (which is very irritating and disconcerting), I find the transmissions and trans tuning to be pretty satisfying.

I too love the ZF 8 speed transmission being used by a ton of new vehicles nowadays (including the Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 and diesel motors) but I'm pretty sure it is not adaptable to a transversely mounted motor like what the Explorer has.

transversely mounted motor like what the Explorer has.

Volvo has shifted away from the problematic GM transmissions in favor of an Aisin 8 speed DSG "Geartronic" for their transverse engined XC90. Wow. I made the "mistake" of test driving one. It will eventually be the Explorer replacement.

Hi I just test drove this car yesterday, and despite my perceptions of Ford, I was very impressed with the car. Totally loaded, it's about $55k Canadian and while it's not as nice or refined as the 2017 Audi Q7, the Q7 is over $80k. So saving $25k to make a few sacrifices is definitely worth considering.

I pretty much liked everything about the car -- exterior, interior, aesthetics. Of particular note, I really liked the blue "tron" lighting inside the car, in the cup holders etc. Also loved the illuminated door sills, also in tron blue. I loved that it had multiple outlets for both USB and 3-prong power plugs, and tons of cubby space.

However what I really didn't like was the 6-speed transmission and the turbo lag. Compared to other cars I've driven, it's pretty rough around the edges... clunky, slow to react. Of course, when it goes... it goes like stink, and it has a nice meaty engine note. If it came with a ZF-8, I'd be in love with it, I think. Anyone else feel similarly?

I'm wondering if your test drive included turning the traction control off? Traction control will do everything in it's power to keep the tires from spinning making engine timing adjustments, utilizing ABS, etc. Just curious. I have an N/A model so, I have no experience with the Ecoboost. Those that have one, what is your impression with testing one with and without the traction control? :salute:

Hi,

I would test drive another one. Mine is pretty seamless, especially driving around town. Now, I keep my foot in the thing a bit. But for merging, driving in traffic, etc., I have no problems. When I want to go a bit (or a bunch) faster, it shifts on-spot.

JMHO,

TW

In the end, I decided not to go for an Explorer. While on the surface, it appears to have great value, there were just a few too many things that detracted from me wanting to go forward with it. While I was comparing a $55k Explorer (on sale) to a $80k Audi (at MSRP), I can just wait until the Q7 is on sale, perhaps in six months when they make room for the 2018s. If I'm lucky I can get a higher trim one without too many options for around $72-75k.

Biggest issues for me on the Explorer:

• Platinum Exterior is really quite nice.. very Range Rover looking, especially black paint with all the chrome accents. But the mandatory wood trim inside was a real turn off.
  • The sport version has a nice interior but without the upgraded leather -- more modern with the brushed aluminum. But I hated the exterior with the blacked out everything.
  • I'm a huge fan of flat-bottomed sporty steering wheels on the main German brands.
  • 6 speed clunky and bigger displacement engine with turbos not faster than Audi's smooth 8 speed supercharged engine. Audi is more fuel efficient too. Explorer has a 6.0 second 0-60 time. Audi Q7 is 5.5 seconds.
  • There's really no comparing inferior handling of the Explorer compared to the Audi.
  • Fit & finish in the Explorer was pretty bad -- uneven details in the upholstery, especially the backings. Literally the 2nd/3rd row back seats are made of cheap carpeted particle board.
  • 2nd row seats don't fold down perfectly flat.
  • While loaded to the brim with tech, the user experience (UX) isn't as efficient nor as nice as the Audi, with a Sony 500Wsystem that isn't particularly good. The Audi blows the Explorer away in that department.
  • While the ambient lighting is very cool at first glance, it's not as subtle and tends to bleed light around in weird uneven ways.
  • Aesthetically inferior to the 2017 Q7 in pretty much every way, of course opinions will vary.

What was superior in the Explorer compared to the Q7:
  • Bang for the buck price.
  • Cupholder ambient lighting and door sills were exceptional and is usually only an expensive option on a Mercedes. Can't even get that on an Audi.
  • Lots of USB and actual power plugs.
  • Tons more interior cubby storage. The Q7 has about the worst/smallest center console I've ever seen.
In the end, it's kind of like going out for lunch and choosing to spend $6 on a slice of pizza vs $8 on a slice of exceptional pizza. I want to buy a car I'm going to keep for a long time and really enjoy, so I think I'm willing to spend an extra year saving up the difference before I pull the trigger.

Again - maybe you are cross shopping the wrong brands. You can't compare the two and expect them to be similar ($55 vs. $80). If Ford wanted to throw another $25K in material cost, you'd have essentially a Q7 or better (or a Lincoln). With Audi you are buying the brand, and right now, tainted with the VW brush, thats not worth it to me. Look at a GL, XC90 or X5 (or even Escalade) and you ll get a more closer comparison for the money and a 3rd row, even then, do any of them have "25K" worth of stuff or executed better? Go onto any BMW, Audi Merc forums and they all have their issues.

Superchargers are more highly strung, and don't believe the hype, they are way worse on gas, not saying a TT is a fuel miser either. I am getting 20 mpg hwy after 700 miles but knew that going in.

Your money, your choice and it ll come down to what you can afford, but think of another thing, go check the prices of a used Q7s and you ll see the depreciation plummet. Hence most people lease and turn in @ 40K.

...it has "Tons more interior cubby storage" ??? thats yuge'!

In the end, I decided not to go for an Explorer. While on the surface, it appears to have great value, there were just a few too many things that detracted from me wanting to go forward with it. While I was comparing a $55k Explorer (on sale) to a $80k Audi (at MSRP), I can just wait until the Q7 is on sale, perhaps in six months when they make room for the 2018s. If I'm lucky I can get a higher trim one without too many options for around $72-75k.

Biggest issues for me on the Explorer:

• Platinum Exterior is really quite nice.. very Range Rover looking, especially black paint with all the chrome accents. But the mandatory wood trim inside was a real turn off.
  • The sport version has a nice interior but without the upgraded leather -- more modern with the brushed aluminum. But I hated the exterior with the blacked out everything.
  • I'm a huge fan of flat-bottomed sporty steering wheels on the main German brands.
  • 6 speed clunky and bigger displacement engine with turbos not faster than Audi's smooth 8 speed supercharged engine. Audi is more fuel efficient too. Explorer has a 6.0 second 0-60 time. Audi Q7 is 5.5 seconds.
  • There's really no comparing inferior handling of the Explorer compared to the Audi.
  • Fit & finish in the Explorer was pretty bad -- uneven details in the upholstery, especially the backings. Literally the 2nd/3rd row back seats are made of cheap carpeted particle board.
  • 2nd row seats don't fold down perfectly flat.
  • While loaded to the brim with tech, the user experience (UX) isn't as efficient nor as nice as the Audi, with a Sony 500Wsystem that isn't particularly good. The Audi blows the Explorer away in that department.
  • While the ambient lighting is very cool at first glance, it's not as subtle and tends to bleed light around in weird uneven ways.
  • Aesthetically inferior to the 2017 Q7 in pretty much every way, of course opinions will vary.

What was superior in the Explorer compared to the Q7:
  • Bang for the buck price.
  • Cupholder ambient lighting and door sills were exceptional and is usually only an expensive option on a Mercedes. Can't even get that on an Audi.
  • Lots of USB and actual power plugs.
  • Tons more interior cubby storage. The Q7 has about the worst/smallest center console I've ever seen.
In the end, it's kind of like going out for lunch and choosing to spend $6 on a slice of pizza vs $8 on a slice of exceptional pizza. I want to buy a car I'm going to keep for a long time and really enjoy, so I think I'm willing to spend an extra year saving up the difference before I pull the trigger.

Well we just bought the 2017 Platinum - not sure what car you test drove.
Power is smooth and amazing. Stereo amazing. Interior wonderful. Fit and finish great - I like the real wood. Handling good - although it is a SUV - for real handling (or 0-60) I drive my 2014 Corvette. Bang for the buck - are you serious - you are comparing it to a car that costs 50% more! That you are doing so is probably testament to how good the Platinum is. I will give you though I like the idea of the Volvo xc90 - t8. Waiting for the next generation Explorer - 4 cylinder ecoboost, aluminum body, 9 speed auto and 20kw plug in battery with electric motors in the rear.

I don't think calling a better 0-60 time by 0.5 seconds qualifies as being "significantly faster" in my book. It's not something that would even enter into my daily driving.

Peter

Again - maybe you are cross shopping the wrong brands. You can't compare the two and expect them to be similar ($55 vs. $80). If Ford wanted to throw another $25K in material cost, you'd have essentially a Q7 or better (or a Lincoln). With Audi you are buying the brand, and right now, tainted with the VW brush, thats not worth it to me. Look at a GL, XC90 or X5 (or even Escalade) and you ll get a more closer comparison for the money and a 3rd row, even then, do any of them have "25K" worth of stuff or executed better? Go onto any BMW, Audi Merc forums and they all have their issues.
Some people on the Audi forums said the same thing... they were offended. One must not compare a Ford to an Audi. However, they are directly comparable -- similar size, similar power, similar tech. I actually compared every single seven seater out there, and the three I liked best are the Q7, Explorer, and XC90. I haven't test driven the XC90 yet, and didn't like any of the offerings from the other American or Japanese brands.

Superchargers are more highly strung, and don't believe the hype, they are way worse on gas, not saying a TT is a fuel miser either. I am getting 20 mpg hwy after 700 miles but knew that going in.
Yes, this is true, but what I was saying is despite the Q7 coming with a supercharger, it is faster and more fuel efficient than the Explorer.

Your money, your choice and it ll come down to what you can afford, but think of another thing, go check the prices of a used Q7s and you ll see the depreciation plummet. Hence most people lease and turn in @ 40K.
In my specific market (Vancouver BC), Audi offer terrible leases... so a lot of people lease BMW or Mercedes. As a result, the Audi's hold their value better here. Admittedly, this is a weird oddity. But I will start watching for promotions. If I can get a Q7 on sale or even a 1 year CPO, I'd be game for something like that, but it'll come down to the interest rate. One thing I noticed, is while both cars are 3.9% financed right now... Audi offers the same rate for 5 years, while Ford increases theirs at 5 years. So once Audi offers a lower 1.9% finance rate on a Q7, I'll jump on it. Also the older outgoing Q7s will indeed depreciate faster due to the new redesign.

As it stands at the moment, I put a deposit down on "yet-to-be-announced" Audi SQ5 for possibly MY2018 about a year ago, so I'm at the front of the list. It is a different mindset buying a completely new car -- no deals, higher interest. But I'm open to getting a bigger 7 seater that will be more practical for my family. Seems all I've got is time to ponder :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back