• Register Today It's free!

2018 Explorer 'D' pillar deforms

Mazboy

Reaction score
City, State
Lawrence ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer xlt
This Pilar started melting last year and it’s getting worse. Saturday I heard a noise like water drops so I got out of my truck and put my hand on it and felt it clicking for a few and it stopped and ideas what it could be ??

C8662F7F-3401-48C8-A72B-5F35FBFDFADC.jpeg 961E1653-1229-4FC3-9F69-B85D9E44B4E2.jpeg D08D7AE7-9508-41CD-9489-E110F7CE2A5B.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe just friction of the piece rubbing on the sides? I mean if it's getting hot enough to deform like that, then there must be significant expansion and contraction as the vehicle temperature changes.

I'd assume it just needs replaced.

How did it melt?
That part I believe is ABS plastic, so it has a heat deflection temp of about 200F and melt point around 400F.
I think it had to get somewhere between those to temps to get that deformation.

The clicking could just be it expanding/contracting.

^ I don't have an '18 so IDK, but what's on my '14 in piano black looks like polycarbonate or acrylic to me.

This Pilar started melting last year and it’s getting worse. Saturday I heard a noise like water drops so I got out of my truck and put my hand on it and felt it clicking for a few and it stopped and ideas what it could be ??
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm very curious as to why that happened. I don't believe anyone has reported having this same issue. I wonder if the rear HVAC unit has anything to do with it? Unfortunately, to replace that 'D' pillar, the window must be removed as well. Cracked D Pillar

Peter

you felt it clicking? is there some relay back there thats clicking on/off and heating up? seeing this brought back some memories Subaru melted 2022 Onyx Outback

was this an act of vandalism? did someone heat it w heat gun or soemthing like that?

How did it melt?
That part I believe is ABS plastic, so it has a heat deflection temp of about 200F and melt point around 400F.
I think it had to get somewhere between those to temps to get that deformation.

The clicking could just be it expanding/contracting.
I am from Boston Mass so it doesn’t get that hot here 😂

Maybe there was some incompatible solvent in wax/other you (or the dealer/detailer/whoever) put on it? I hate to even touch the piano black trim on mine because it scratches so easily. I mean I do wash with a separate microfiber cloth but still... would've rather it had brushed, anodized black aluminum trim.

piano black trim on mine because it scratches so easily.
dont even look at its, its gonna scratch ;) ;) ;) i like my normalblack plastic on the 2nd gen, just wish it didnt fade so easily:(

Personally I would remove as much as possible to see if there is a short in there before the whole car goes up in flames.
To remove the pillar, the side window has to come out.

Peter

Back