• Register Today It's free!

2018 explorer Small leak

Mallenasher

Reaction score
City, State
North Bangor ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer sport
I have a 2018 explorer with the 3.5 Ecoboost i have a couple issues going on with it, first is we've noticed the antifreeze level is very slowly dropping in the over flow id say an inch a month or so. I called the local Ford dealership and the tech I spoke to claimed there old explorer ate antifreeze, I think that was a little crazy, I expect some evaporation but what is too much. The second issue is I noticed some kind of fluid leaking from what I think is the throttle body hose. I've been keeping an eye on it since I recently got an oil change and I wasn't sure if they just got sloppy with the oil. In the pictures you can see where it's wet under the hose, does anyone know where I can find the short hose connected to the throttle body.
1000003968.jpg
1000003969.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine was dropping at about the same rate, with no visible external leakage, and a few months ago the dealership diagnosed a bad water pump at ~92k and replaced it under my ESP, so I'd stop driving it asap. And that tech is an idiot for saying that. I wouldn't sweat the other thing, you need the wp addressed before you ruin your motor.

Mine was dropping at about the same rate, with no visible external leakage, and a few months ago the dealership diagnosed a bad water pump at ~92k and replaced it under my ESP, so I'd stop driving it asap. And that tech is an idiot for saying that. I wouldn't sweat the other thing, you need the wp addressed before you ruin your motor.
Ok I assumed it was the water pump, I just don't want to bring it in and have them say it's not and charge me crazy for the diagnosis, it's only has 60k on it right now and I bought it certified pre owned so the power train is covered till 100k. I just know how dealers like to sneak in fees. Did you get away without paying anything?

Pay the extra money to get the timing chain components replaced now will save you money down the road if that is an option.

The soot around the throttle body is more than likely oil blow-by in the intake tubing. It is common on Ecoboost / turbo cars in general. Installing an oil catch-can on the intake will keep it dry.

You may also have a small oil leak around the VCT sensors on the cam cover.

Ok I assumed it was the water pump, I just don't want to bring it in and have them say it's not and charge me crazy for the diagnosis, it's only has 60k on it right now and I bought it certified pre owned so the power train is covered till 100k. I just know how dealers like to sneak in fees. Did you get away without paying anything?
Good that you're CPO, I have an ESP and I finally used it after 3 years, they also did 4x motor mounts and front LCAs at the same time. I had them do the serpentine belt tensioner and new belt on my dime. I was hesitant with the diagnosis as well, since the leak wasn't visible, but I guess they pressure tested the system and it failed. Tell them the front end is clunking over bumps and maybe you can get new LCAs too, and that you feel a vibration at idle through the steering wheel.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
When the coolant mixes with the oil, it should become visible on the dipstick as a sort of 'milky' colour. There is also a weephole that allows coolant to escape, but I don't think that always happens.

Peter

Good that you're CPO, I have an ESP and I finally used it after 3 years, they also did 4x motor mounts and front LCAs at the same time. I had them do the serpentine belt tensioner and new belt on my dime. I was hesitant with the diagnosis as well, since the leak wasn't visible, but I guess they pressure tested the system and it failed. Tell them the front end is clunking over bumps and maybe you can get new LCAs too, and that you feel a vibration at idle through the steering wheel.
It's funny You say that when I go through a field or a rough terrain driveway any little bump It clunks almost constant it's pretty annoying, Don't really want to put too much money into it with the way It guzzles gas in a few years I'll j probably upgrade to a truck, I'm over my 60k warranty I Believe all I have left is the 100k powertrain at this point, I feel some Ford dealerships have much more knowledge than others.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
When the coolant mixes with the oil, it should become visible on the dipstick as a sort of 'milky' colour. There is also a weephole that allows coolant to escape, but I don't think that always happens.

Peter
Yes that's what I thought the dealership just performed an oil change a month ago, I thought they might notice something but there was nothing in the paperwork

Back