2018 Ford Explorer Terrain Management System Fault | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

jdubs93

Reaction score
City, State
Champaign, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2018 Ford Explorer that will go into a "limp mode" and display, "Terrain Management System Fault." It displays that message along with a wrench icon bogs down in power and will not let you accelerate until you shut the vehicle off and turn it back on and then it acts as if nothing happened. It's not storing any codes, and just yesterday it shut off while driving completely. Also, not sure if it's related but it also seems to burn a good amount of oil. Almost 3 quarts in about a month span.
Any and all help would be appreciated! I'm losing my mind!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
What you're describing seems to be Fail-Safe Cooling. It is covered in your manual. The one I pulled up shows it on page 291. If that is what it is, you could possibly have a damaged engine.

1710946433870.png

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
What you're describing seems to be Fail-Safe Cooling. It is covered in your manual. The one I pulled up shows it on page 291. If that is what it is, you could possibly have a damaged engine.

View attachment 450805
Peter
Hmmm this is definitely a direction I'll look into but I am able to start the vehicle immediately with no issue and it acts like nothing happened? I will read through the manual! Thank you so much! I really hope it's not a bad engine.

Hmmm this is definitely a direction I'll look into but I am able to start the vehicle immediately with no issue and it acts like nothing happened? I will read through the manual! Thank you so much! I really hope it's not a bad engine.
I only suspected the engine due to the amount of oil you said that you're using. I hope I'm wrong.

Peter

I only suspected the engine due to the amount of oil you said that you're using. I hope I'm wrong.

Peter
Unfortunately after reading the pages you referenced, I'm worried this may be the issue.

Unfortunately after reading the pages you referenced, I'm worried this may be the issue.

Peter
Hey! So checking the coolant level it's normal. I had to add 3qts just about a month ago. And just had to add another 2.5 it's to it! Heavy white smoke upon starting but have not had an instance where it shut off since the last time I added oil. I would think the coolant level would be low if it's overheating or has a head gasket issue?

So you've almost completed an oil change in the past month. That is not normal, as you know. If you don't have an oil leak then it must be getting burned off somehow. White smoke is usually more of an indication of coolant, not oil. I'd have the engine checked out.

Peter

Back