Terrain Management System Fault, Service AdvanceTrac, Hill Start Assist Not Available | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Terrain Management System Fault, Service AdvanceTrac, Hill Start Assist Not Available

Hi All,

EDIT: I re-ran the OBD2 app AFTER I cleared the codes and the only two that I'm left with after doing that are below. Looks like an ABS sensor might be causing the issues. I'd still welcome any comments, tips and suggestions.

(@peterk9 , if you think this is worthy of a post of its own, please let me know, thanks)

It's a shame the original poster didn't return for comment.

I just received the same the same set of warnings described in the original post. I went for a very short drive and the dash lit up with 'Service AdvanceTrac', 'Terrain Management System Not Available', 'Hill Descent Control Not Available'. I can also see the 'ABS' warning light on the dash. Having said that, the car still drives and doesn't appear to be having any transmission or 'limp mode' problems described above although I'm reluctant to take it for a long drive.

Faults are:

* C0031-29 Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor
* U0415-00 Invalid Data Received from (ABS) control Module

* B1215-00 External Memory Card
* US3003-16 Battery Voltage (multiple times)
* B11D9-16 Vehicle Battery
* B108A-01 Start Button
* U0212-00 Lost Communication with (SCCM)
* P1534-01 Restraint Deployment Indicator Circuit
* U0422-00 Invalid Data received from Body Control Module
* U0533-82 Invalid Data Received from Side Obstacle Detection Control Module - Left
* U0534-82 Invalid Data Received from Side Obstacle Detection Control Module - Right
* B1B52-15 Rear Sounder
* U0140-00 Lost Communication with Body Control Module

I did replace the battery recently with an Autocraft Gold Gold Size 65 850 CCA, but I have driven it 2 or 3 times on the battery without any lights. Last night I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and re-connected - same faults. I also cleared all of the faults, but the lights on the dash came back as soon as I started driving.

It looks like I'm headed back to the dealership for the second time in 3 months, but it would be nice to be as informed as possible to avoid unnecessary work/replacement as I'm way out of warranty and this car is starting to become more trouble/cost than it's worth.

Any advice appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Brian. It seems these warnings can be caused by various conditions. I have read posts before about the wheel speed sensor issue. I think the difference with yours is that it also threw the ABS warning. Something to keep in mind.

Peter

2018 explorer sport with 11,300 miles. Had to have my vehicle towed for the second time with this MAPT error. This time I was on vacation (350 miles away) and the Part had to be ordered, car was not fixed for 4 days. Absolute embarrassment this issue has occurred twice already. Waiting to hear back from Ford Corporate as I expect them to tow this vehicle to my local dealership, is this normal or do you guys think I have a lemon?

2018 explorer sport with 11,300 miles. Had to have my vehicle towed for the second time with this MAPT error. This time I was on vacation (350 miles away) and the Part had to be ordered, car was not fixed for 4 days. Absolute embarrassment this issue has occurred twice already. Waiting to hear back from Ford Corporate as I expect them to tow this vehicle to my local dealership, is this normal or do you guys think I have a lemon?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I think you'll have a difficult time in getting it towed back to your own dealership unless you pay the bill. Here is what your Warranty Guide says.

Your vehicle is covered by the complimentary Ford Roadside Assistance Program (unless you are driving a daily rental unit). Under this program, Ford will cover:
Towing to the nearest Ford Motor Company dealership, or towing to your selling dealership if within 35 miles of the disablement

Peter

I think you'll have a difficult time in getting it towed back to your own dealership unless you pay the bill. Here is what your Warranty Guide says.

Your vehicle is covered by the complimentary Ford Roadside Assistance Program (unless you are driving a daily rental unit). Under this program, Ford will cover:
Towing to the nearest Ford Motor Company dealership, or towing to your selling dealership if within 35 miles of the disablement

Peter

Wow I will really be disappointed and will probably end up trading the vehicle in. The ford dealership wasn’t even able to find me a rental to get home and has yet to do so.

More bad news then. The Ford Warranty does not provide for loaners or rentals. When a dealer supplies one, it is at their expense. Perhaps if you call your dealership, they may help out with a rental.

Peter

We pick up our 2018 Ford Explorer - Platinum tomorrow from our local Ford Dealership’s Service department. This is the 2nd time in 11 months that the MAP sensor has been replaced. We had all the same issues and messages as above - service AdvancTrac, hill start assist warning, and park aid malfunction. The vehicle lost power as we were driving down the road, luckily not too far from home. However, we were at an intersection and could barely gain enough power to make the right turn. We were almost t-boned by an electric company truck. I’m very concerned about our safety after this has happened twice. The first time, okay, maybe factory mistake....the 2nd time...I want to know what caused it. We’ve tried asking the cause and got nowhere. I’m hoping to get more information and answers tomorrow but not holding my breath. May have to go to Ford Corporate if not satisfied at the Dealer.
How much was the MAP sensor replacement? I’m having the exact same issues that you describe. The dash lights will turn off usually when I turn off the car and eventually come on again as I’m driving around for a while but not every time. The car seems to be driving fine but I don’t want to do any damage if I continue to drive it with the lights on. The Ford dealership I took it to said they could hook it up and check for codes for $175 but if the lights aren’t currently on they might not get any codes so I walked away. Wondering what to do now.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Usually when a trouble code is generated, it will be stored, regardless of whether the problem is currently there or not. Some auto places will check for codes at no charge. You could also buy an OBD2 scanner and do it yourself.

Peter

In some cases when the dash lit up like a "Christmas Tree" the cause was a weak/bad battery. It has happened to many others as well. That's where I would start. Confirm it is good.

Peter
This is a great point....also being we live in the upper midwest....when it gets sub zero(-10 or less) it can also possibly frost some sensors. My wife's 2016 lit up like a Christmas tree , traction fault and also steering assist and hill assist and the steering wheel wouldn't turn for her. I got home from work(it's 1 degree out) and everything is fine....no stored codes or anything. Just another situation to report and hope it helps someone!

This is a great point....also being we live in the upper midwest....when it gets sub zero(-10 or less) it can also possibly frost some sensors. My wife's 2016 lit up like a Christmas tree , traction fault and also steering assist and hill assist and the steering wheel wouldn't turn for her. I got home from work(it's 1 degree out) and everything is fine....no stored codes or anything. Just another situation to report and hope it helps someone!

Peter

We pick up our 2018 Ford Explorer - Platinum tomorrow from our local Ford Dealership’s Service department. This is the 2nd time in 11 months that the MAP sensor has been replaced. We had all the same issues and messages as above - service AdvancTrac, hill start assist warning, and park aid malfunction. The vehicle lost power as we were driving down the road, luckily not too far from home. However, we were at an intersection and could barely gain enough power to make the right turn. We were almost t-boned by an electric company truck. I’m very concerned about our safety after this has happened twice. The first time, okay, maybe factory mistake....the 2nd time...I want to know what caused it. We’ve tried asking the cause and got nowhere. I’m hoping to get more information and answers tomorrow but not holding my breath. May have to go to Ford Corporate if not satisfied at the Dealer.
I was driving through town at low speeds and suddenly my dash starts looking like a Christmas tree...

I received the following messages repeatedly: Terrain Management System Fault, Service AdvanceTrac, Hill Start Assist Not Available. I also had the two amber lights on in the picture.

View attachment 420228

At a stoplight, I put it in park, turned the car off, then started it back up. The messages returned. I went about a 1/10 of a mile down the road into a parking lot, parked and turned the car off. I then let it sit for about a minute and a half, then started it back up. No more lights, but things seemed off with the accelerator and transmission. I've read some real horror stories about these messages, though I haven't found where anyone had all 3 of them together.

A couple more things:
  • It's a bit wet out right now.
  • When I attempt to accelerate, it seems to have a delay. The transmission seems off.
  • I know I need new rotors.
  • About a year ago I had some damage done to the drivers front side. A Ford dealership handled all repairs. It's been fine until today.
Obviously, I'll get it into the dealer as soon as possible, but if anyone can provide any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.
I had the exact same symptoms, Service Advance Trac, Hill Descent
I had the same faults Service Advance Trac, Hill Descent Control Fault and Collision Warning Malfunction on my 2011 Ex Limited. Whenever I started it, Terrain Management System Fault showed up and the TMS console knob stopped working. I checked online and saw the fixes others had by their dealers and shuddered at the thought of paying for an ABS module or a Throttle Body or a Steering Angle Sensor, etc. Dealers must love to see TMS fault Explorers come rolling into their Service Depts. Time to get big money from these poor SUV owners. I checked the simplest things first and started with my battery which did not have corroded terminals. My multi meter showed 12.8 volts so it was fully charged. I’d read one guy used a pressure washer on his wheels and solved the issue so I tried that. The underside of my Ex is caked with road salt from so many snowstorms and driving through those salted roads. So I took it to a wash bay and sprayed it everywhere underneath, especially the inside and outside of the wheels and wheel wells. Also underneath the back and front where the sensors are located in the bumpers. The TMS faults that were a daily occurrence haven’t shown up for the past two days so I have my fingers crossed.

I was driving through town at low speeds and suddenly my dash starts looking like a Christmas tree...

I received the following messages repeatedly: Terrain Management System Fault, Service AdvanceTrac, Hill Start Assist Not Available. I also had the two amber lights on in the picture.

View attachment 420228

At a stoplight, I put it in park, turned the car off, then started it back up. The messages returned. I went about a 1/10 of a mile down the road into a parking lot, parked and turned the car off. I then let it sit for about a minute and a half, then started it back up. No more lights, but things seemed off with the accelerator and transmission. I've read some real horror stories about these messages, though I haven't found where anyone had all 3 of them together.

A couple more things:
  • When I attempt to accelerate, it seems to have a delay. The transmission seems off.
  • About a year ago I had some damage done to the drivers front side. A Ford dealership handled all repairs. It's been fine until today.
Obviously, I'll get it into the dealer as soon as possible, but if anyone can provide any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.
I currently have the first same issue on my 2019 Explorer Sport. Ford told me that the problem was a short out MAP Sensor.

Welcome to the Forum KG NB. :wave:
Looks like the issue was with a wheel speed sensor.

Peter

I currently have the first same issue on my 2019 Explorer Sport. Ford told me that the problem was a short out MAP Sensor.
Did they replace the sensor or are you still waiting to have this addressed? The wheel speed sensor can cause identical issues.

Peter

Did they replace the sensor or are you still waiting to have this addressed? The wheel speed sensor can cause identical issues.

Peter
I went to my mechanic buddy yesterday for a control arm and he scanned for faults. ABS sensor driver’s front! You’re right. I had it changed at the same time.

View attachment 420228

A couple more things:

I had it all light up too, Brakes, ABS. traction control, and in addition the adaptive cruise control didnt work The car ran fine so I fixed it with electrical tape over the lights

And then there was a day when the lights went out and cruise control worked again... That after I had to charge the battery

1647390234588.png

This is my first post! Thanks for being here for us.
Three weeks ago I purchased a used 2018 Explorer Platinum with 30,000 miles. Drove it on a 400 mile trip and everything was great. Did some driving around the area we visited and today experienced the same problem. Service Advance Trac, Hill Descent Control Fault and Parking Assist Off. Also the Check Engine light came on. I always carry a spare OBDII scanner so I plugged it in and it showed a P0107 code, Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Low Input. Headed out tomorrow to buy a new MAP sensor and swap it out. Wish me luck.

Welcome to the Forum Howard. :wave:
Good luck. Please let us know how it went. Thanks.

Peter

Here's my follow-up.
Swapped out the MAP sensor this morning with a Ford sensor (thanks Apple Ford in Columbia, MD). The original problem I had (P0107) was able to be cleared but during the test drive, I noticed quite a bit of 'stumbling' while driving. Then the 'Wrench' light came on along with a Terain Management System Fault notice. Looks like more digging for me. I'll update when I find my next problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's the update to my follow-up.
Sometimes you think you know what you're doing but in reality you're just digging yourself a bigger hole.
Originally, I pulled the MAP sensor off of the plenum tube just before the throttle body (yes, I NOW know that this is not the MAP sensor but the Turbo Boost sensor. They both look the same.) and swapped it with the new one. As you can guess, this didn't fix the problem. When I realized that this was a mistake, I pulled it back off and, after answering my cellphone, (thank you Mr telemarketer) reinstalled the sensor, or so I thought. In reality, I put the MAP sensor in where the Turbo Boost sensor was supposed to be. After comparing all of the very small numbers on both sensors and matching them with the FoMoCo bag, I discovered my mistake and put them in the correct locations. The follow-up test drive finally went smoothly and with no problems. Next time, and from what I've read in this thread there will be a next time, I'll pay closer attention to what I'm doing.

Back