2018 PIU back door panel removal

CountryFit

Reaction score
City, State
San Francisco
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Police Interceptor U
Hello you experienced PIU owners,
I have spent quite a bit of time on watching yt's, scanning websites related to my 2018 PIU back door panel removal but none of them was on the later years of PIU's (2018 and after). I tried but couldn't get the panel off, now I am at the wits end... Please share your knowledge and experience.

What I have done - removed all of those screws and clips as shown on the photo where highlighted, but the panel won't pop out. It seems there are more screws holding it firmly. So what am I missing?

All suggestions are highly appreciated.

door panel.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you got all the screws...it's a matter of getting the clips to release. And...they're tight. They are around the perimeter of the door and a couple towards the center...if memory serves.

I replaced the rears in mine and have one of the old ones. I can post a photo of the back side if it's a help...

Thanks Matt! I saw a few older m-y PIU's on yt, their door panels had some differences. For example, some with a horizontal trim piece right above the pull trigger, which hid 3 screws, mine does not have it. I tried to pop the panel off with hands, flat screw driver, or even a pry bar, of course gently, it just won't budge. I am not sure if 2016 to 2018's are the same on the panels... Yeah if you could post photos that would be great!

I'd bet the panels mount the same whether it's a PIU or civilian. I put civilian panels in my Interceptor. They may or may not use a clip in a given place...but they mounted in my '16. The door handle bezel (if memory serves) can stay not he panel, but the cable can get in the way. The handle/bezel can be popped out and rotated to get the panel off.
Here's a PIU panel with arrows showing where clips could be. They hold on crazy tight.
panel.jpg

I'd bet the panels mount the same whether it's a PIU or civilian. I put civilian panels in my Interceptor. They may or may not use a clip in a given place...but they mounted in my '16. The door handle bezel (if memory serves) can stay not he panel, but the cable can get in the way. The handle/bezel can be popped out and rotated to get the panel off.
Here's a PIU panel with arrows showing where clips could be. They hold on crazy tight.View attachment 430296
Awesome, seems I should've been able to pry the panel out... But, I tried it again just now, even the edge came out more than an inch, all around, the panel just won't pop... See the yt video recorded.

Awesome, seems I should've been able to pry the panel out... But, I tried it again just now, even the edge came out more than an inch, all around, the panel just won't pop... See the yt video recorded.

Yep...they hold like crazy! I was afraid I'd break something..

You did pop the little cover in the middle and remove the (I think) 2 screws?

I moved these two in the middle:

20220610_184117.jpg 20220610_184122.jpg

Update - I muscled and pulled it out. Phew, kinda tight. While at it, I might put some insulation material to the hollow spaces. Hope it'll help keep it warm and reduce the road noise.

Thank you Matt and all who have offered gauidance and suggestions. I really appreciate it! Safe travels!

............. While at it, I might put some insulation material to the hollow spaces. Hope it'll help keep it warm and reduce the road noise....................................
Just make sure if you are going to add insulation that it can't get wet or block the drains.

Peter

Just make sure if you are going to add insulation that it can't get wet or block the drains.

Peter
Good point! I'll keep it in mind and plan it well... Thanks!

Back