• Register Today It's free!

2020 Coolant flush

Mr Soto

Reaction score
City, State
Altoona, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
I'm planning to perform a cooling system flush on my 2020 Ford Explorer XLT 2.3L, and I could use some advice from fellow enthusiasts or anyone experienced with DIY car maintenance.

F/E I'm not yet decided between Prestone flush or Ford's VC1

If anyone has experience with performing a cooling system flush on a similar vehicle or has any tips, recommendations, or potential pitfalls to watch out for, I would greatly appreciate your insights.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm planning to perform a cooling system flush on my 2020 Ford Explorer XLT 2.3L, and I could use some advice from fellow enthusiasts or anyone experienced with DIY car maintenance.

F/E I'm not yet decided between Prestone flush or Ford's VC1

If anyone has experience with performing a cooling system flush on a similar vehicle or has any tips, recommendations, or potential pitfalls to watch out for, I would greatly appreciate your insights.

Unless you have scale or contamination, I would not use a flush product. I would recommend a more simple drain and fill of Ford Motorcraft coolant. How many miles on your vehicle and why do you want to perform a flush?

Unless you have scale or contamination, I would not use a flush product. I would recommend a more simple drain and fill of Ford Motorcraft coolant. How many miles on your vehicle and why do you want to perform a flush?
67k miles, the liquid is not green but kind of orangish, I was quoted by the dealer after my last oil change as a recommended service, almost $200...

I plan to drain the system, use flush and distilled water until it comes out clear.

67k miles, the liquid is not green but kind of orangish, I was quoted by the dealer after my last oil change as a recommended service, almost $200...

I plan to drain the system, use flush and distilled water until it comes out clear.

Manual says the coolant change interval is 10 years or 200k miles. Dealer just fishing for easy money. The color of your coolant is normal. I would recommend to leave your coolant alone. If you do change it, keep in mind it's not always easy to get any air out of the system.

The coolant specification is listed in your Owner's Manual. WSS-M97B57-A2
Ford has changed back to yellow.

Peter

Back