2020 Lincoln Aviator - Built on Explorer platform | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Lincoln Aviator - Built on Explorer platform

Revel Audio System in the 2020 Aviator

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Revel Audio System in the 2020 Aviator

I was at the NYIAS and Lincoln had a setup to listen to it. It sounded quite amazing.

I ordered my Aviator 2 weeks ago.
Should have early July.
Can't wait to hear it.

On the towing capacity thing - in america if you want to tow something more than 7K lbs - we have more capable veichles for sale at reasonable prices. Namely a Expedition, F150, Tahoe, Silverado, etc. Many people that would shop an explorer or aviator to use won't tow like that and if they did they would tow in a truck or something. Because it's just as easy to buy a Lariat F150 and have plush with tow rating and honestly similar MPG's.

It won't exactly hold 6 though -

On the towing capacity thing - in america if you want to tow something more than 7K lbs - we have more capable veichles for sale at reasonable prices. Namely a Expedition, F150, Tahoe, Silverado, etc. Many people that would shop an explorer or aviator to use won't tow like that and if they did they would tow in a truck or something. Because it's just as easy to buy a Lariat F150 and have plush with tow rating and honestly similar MPG's.

It won't exactly hold 6 though -

Yes it will. F150s won't hold 7 though. Besides which, the Durango is a direct competitor to the Explorer and can tow 7k lbs.

My F150 only holds 5 - center console. but either way my point is the answer in america is the next size larger SUV of which we have lots of choices.

also the durango is not a direct competitor to the explorer - at least not the current flavor. It's larger in every way. For the 2020 model - hard to say but I'd venture a guess it's still going to be longer by a touch, wider by a touch and still have a truck rear end.

The explorer is not meant for that - as best as I can tell.

My F150 only holds 5 - center console. but either way my point is the answer in america is the next size larger SUV of which we have lots of choices.

also the durango is not a direct competitor to the explorer - at least not the current flavor. It's larger in every way. For the 2020 model - hard to say but I'd venture a guess it's still going to be longer by a touch, wider by a touch and still have a truck rear end.

You can get F150s w/o the centre console too, which then seats 6. And the rear bench actually holds 3 car seats, unlike the 2nd row bench of the Explorer.

Where would you put the durango then? It's a midsize SUV, similar to the Explorer. Same class.

You don't think the Durango is a Direct Competitor to the Explorer? I guess I could give you that to some degree with the 5th gen but now with the 6th gen, I definitely think it is a competitor.

The Durango is less then 3 inches longer (doesn't mean it is interior), the Explorer is 2-3" wider and the Durango is 1-2" taller. I don't think 2" +/- decides on whether a vehicle is a direct competitor.

are you comparing durango to the 2020 dimensions. when we looked in 16 - against our 16 explorer we ended up in. The durango was more room for all seats except the back 2 - which was nearly equal to the explorer. I don't remember the numbers but I checked via tape - and well my tuckas.

Yes I say my 6'3" frame in a rear seat of the explorer too, and an enclave and some others.

Durango had a wider rear opening - but same height rear opening. legroom in the front was significantly better.

Compared to the 2020 - might be similar now - bet the chassis weight is still higher though. Needless to say we didn't buy one though.

In 2021 I'll be in the market for the new model - and I really only plan to compare to the buick device. Nothing else in segment appeals to me and I won't own a nissan or honda or toyota. (see weeding it down already). The bimmer is the only EU device that intrigues me - so I might cross shop that but I see me getting into a lincoln.

^^^ the numbers I stated above are a 2019 Durango vs a 2020 Explorer.

I really wonder now how the options overlap from the Explorer to the Aviator. I configured both and the Aviator surprisingly was much cheaper and the only things I could tell different was +Track brakes package +captains chairs on the Explorer.

Carleton-I think I'm in same position as you were, just a few months later. What did you find out/decide to do? So far, for me, the Explorer Platinum is where I want to be but this new Aviator alternative is haunting my Explorer decision. I too am looking for 'why one vs. the other.'

I've configured both and I have the Aviator Reserve I more by about $1,500. With the Aviator I think I gain the Explorer ST engine and a longer warranty. Configured as I want it I would lose the massaging seat function and AWD (although I know these are options).

On the Explorer, the Platinum trim apparently comes with 'Intelligent AWD' and massaging seats.

They seem very, very close. Have other folks come to conclusions on one vs. the other?

Thanks for any help!
/park

Carleton-I think I'm in same position as you were, just a few months later. What did you find out/decide to do? So far, for me, the Explorer Platinum is where I want to be but this new Aviator alternative is haunting my Explorer decision. I too am looking for 'why one vs. the other.'

I've configured both and I have the Aviator Reserve I more by about $1,500. With the Aviator I think I gain the Explorer ST engine and a longer warranty. Configured as I want it I would lose the massaging seat function and AWD (although I know these are options).

On the Explorer, the Platinum trim apparently comes with 'Intelligent AWD' and massaging seats.

They seem very, very close. Have other folks come to conclusions on one vs. the other?

Thanks for any help!
/park

I've looked at both and what is frustrating is how much some of the packages are on the Aviator just to get the same features as the Explorer ST/Platinum. So the Reserve I and AWD puts you at over $65k. Now, the Explorer has the wireless charging.. in order to get that on the Aviator, you need to add the $2,200 Convenience Package. The Explorer also has the tow package included on the ST/Plat where you have to pay extra for it on the Aviator.

If you option the Aviator to have the same thing as the Explorer, it is about $8,000 more. Now for the $8k more, you do get a lot more added... but this is the minimum you need to spend to at least get what comes in the Explorer.

To be honest, if I was going to do the Aviator, I'd be spending over $70k which I just can't do. I know I'll be happy with a loaded ST with just about every option for $55k.

I've looked at both and what is frustrating is how much some of the packages are on the Aviator just to get the same features as the Explorer ST/Platinum. So the Reserve I and AWD puts you at over $65k. Now, the Explorer has the wireless charging.. in order to get that on the Aviator, you need to add the $2,200 Convenience Package. The Explorer also has the tow package included on the ST/Plat where you have to pay extra for it on the Aviator.

If you option the Aviator to have the same thing as the Explorer, it is about $8,000 more. Now for the $8k more, you do get a lot more added... but this is the minimum you need to spend to at least get what comes in the Explorer.

To be honest, if I was going to do the Aviator, I'd be spending over $70k which I just can't do. I know I'll be happy with a loaded ST with just about every option for $55k.

I'm with you. If I were to outfit the Aviator the way I wanted I'd have to lay out a bunch more cash but I'd get good toys in return. Like you, I just can't do 70k. I've got to see them both and decide who I'm in love with I guess.
/park

Given the current interest rates of a lease here in Canada, it would cost me $21 more a month to lease the Aviator Reserve with no additional options for 48 months compared to the Platinum.

Peter

Has everyone noticed the new real power ratings for the Aviator, the GT that is?

I hadn't heard of the hybrid technology yet mixing power between both gas and electric engines. Others may have it, but it's very rare, maybe it's easier in this larger platform. The 3.0T engine has 415lbft, the new rating.

But the hybrid electric engine rated at 101hp, makes the total when both are engaged, at 495hp, and 630lbft of torque. What's the Explorer ST power rating, it has the same 3.0T engine?

I'm not in the market for a new SUV, but the 2017/18 MKZ is on my wish list, with the 3.0T AWD engine. So I saw the report on the MKZ forum mentioning the Aviator GT hybrid. I don't know what one of those would cost, but I'd love to try one, and maybe in a few years, who knows.

Back