Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Ford Explorer plug-in hybrid spied driving near Ford HQ

Hmmmm..

dims.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nevernind, this is an export model.

Europe and most likely China.

2020 Ford Explorer PHEV Revealed In Europe With 450 HP

Looks to be the same powertrain as the Aviator, which is disappointing. The battery isn't large enough to qualify for the full tax credit and the both the gas only power and electric only power are low. They would have been better off putting the full gas power 3.0L in and electrically (current) limiting the a higher rated EM to get to the 450/600 power/torque numbers so that in all electric mode you still have enough usable power and in gas mode, when the battery is depleted you still have plenty of torque and towing capacity.

Also need to add that at only 13.1 kWh, the battery is too small to get a full tax credit, just $5877, and a range of only 25 miles.

edit: another article Ford Explorer Plug-In Hybrid – New PHEV SUV for Europe

Sheesh, ST and Platinum trim.. I can only imagine the upcharge on this one.. another $10k?

Little bonus peek at the next version of SYNC.

By far the best video I have seen so far on it. Thanks for posting it.

Hmmm. Wonder if Ford will surprise us with Sync 4 for launch.

Can't imagine that's how Ford wanted the news of their new/upgraded Sync to come out. I wonder what's in store for Town & Country?!?!

Regardless, I enjoyed the video!

Can't imagine that's how Ford wanted the news of their new/upgraded Sync to come out. I wonder what's in store for Town & Country?!?!

Regardless, I enjoyed the video!

Right lol.. you could tell he was excited to see that BUT didnt spend any time playing with it. Probably an Oh **** moment..

Thinking a little more about this, could it be that this is sync 4 or a different layout of sync 3 due to it being a hybrid. Ford will obviously have different screens etc for the hybrid information.. I wonder which this actually is.

Right lol.. you could tell he was excited to see that BUT didnt spend any time playing with it. Probably an Oh **** moment..

I hope they don't, he's great publicity for them.

He handled it pretty well too, considering that was a big booboo lol. Although that was probably an oversight to allow them in to film without supervision.

Good overview. So far everything that I am seeing on the Ford Explorer looks promising, and the updates to Sync look promising. All going well we'll be getting the ST later this year.

TheWombat

Wonder if there is any truth to the rumor that the PHEV model will debut in EU but come on sale in the US the next year. or for the 2021 MY.

Shame to waste that effort and not offer them here. The Aviator is going to offer them here and maybe that's the point to sell it for price point marketing.

Back