2020 Platinum Headlights | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Platinum Headlights

Are 2020 owners happy with the low beams? Can the aim be adjusted? I couldn't find any adjustment instructions in the 2020 Owner's Manual. The reason I'm asking is the iihs distance test results for 5 Lux for the 2020 LED headlights are Left - 140 feet, Right - 310 feet on a straight away. I'm used to having longer illumination distances from my 2017 Sienna and wonder if the Explorer headlights will be bright enough on low beam.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Page 327 of your Owner's Manual.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Page 327 of your Owner's Manual.

Peter

Thank you Peter and thanks for the welcome. On about page 330 of the Owner's Manual it says LED bulbs are not servicable items - by the owner anyway. Have seen some mention in other forums that LED headlights 'dim' over time due to heat. Any LED experts?

Check out the parts prices for new headlamp assemblies. These are from parts.ford.com for 2020 Exp and appears to be the same for all engines:
RH or LH Level 3 - $1200.04
RH or LH Level 5 - $1587.42
RH Level 7 - $1321.92
LH Prep Pack - $1215.53
Not sure what "Level" refers to when associated with a specific assembly.

I see a lot of knowledgeable folks on this thread so I figured I would bring this conversation back from the dead and ask a question out of curiosity:

I noticed the 2020 PIU has orange LED run lights towards the middle of the headlights at night. Is that unique to just PIU or does that exist on any other models of the explorer?

Are 2020 owners happy with the low beams? Can the aim be adjusted? I couldn't find any adjustment instructions in the 2020 Owner's Manual. The reason I'm asking is the iihs distance test results for 5 Lux for the 2020 LED headlights are Left - 140 feet, Right - 310 feet on a straight away. I'm used to having longer illumination distances from my 2017 Sienna and wonder if the Explorer headlights will be bright enough on low beam.
I am lucky to get 25' with the left and the right!
However... the bright lights are perfect.
My usual adjustment is the low beams just right of the center line by 2' at 100'
Right now they are 4' (center of my hood) and only about 25' in front of the hood.
I like the right side (passenger side) to be about 200-250' up the road but only a foot from the white (fog) line this way I can see critters.
This is the first time I have had these "fancy" lights that trim out in duplex with one adjuster.
So if I raise the left (drivers side) lamp the brights will be WAY to high.
BTW
What is all the crud on the INSIDE that makes it look like moisture?
I would have to take off the Setina & both sides to get these housings off. Who designs this $hit ?

Hi Dennis. Are you saying that the PIU has both verticle and horizontal headlamp adjustments? The retail units only have verticle adjustments.

Peter

Hi Dennis. Are you saying that the PIU has both verticle and horizontal headlamp adjustments? The retail units only have verticle adjustments.

Peter
I could only wish Peter! No! One adjustment for both and that is up and down. When the weather gets better I will take pictures of how to adjust just the low beam and I might have a fix for right & left. I do get creative! LOL

Back