• Register Today It's free!

2021 Explorer rear window washer

AJs Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Castle Rock, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Limited 4WD
My 2021 Ford Explorer and a friend’s 2022 Ford Explorer both have a problem with the rear window washer. The nozzle above the the wiper blade just dribbles washer cleaner and only cleans the top half of the wiper radius. The bottom half of the radius remains dirty even though the wiper swipes the full radius. Our service writer checked and advised Ford does not note any known issues creating this problem. Has anyone else had this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How often do you use it?
I would make sure the outlet is clean and the reservoir is full and use it repeatedly for a few minutes. That fluid has to travel a long ways.

Upvote 0

07EddyB

Thank you for your suggestions! We and then our Ford service writer checked all of those. He had checked for any known issues from Ford and could not find any. He's going to have the roof liner dropped to find the problem between the front end and the outlet. Since we have the problem on our 10-month-old 2021 Explorer Limited and our friend has it on her 5-month-old 2022 Explorer King Ranch I think there must be a possible assembly line problem. We both have had the problem since we bought the cars. I was hoping to find someone else who had a similar problem and resolved it. Thanks again for your response that got me to clarify what's going on.

Upvote 0

07EddyB

Thank you for your suggestions! We and then our Ford service writer checked all of those. He had checked for any known issues from Ford and could not find any. He's going to have the roof liner dropped to find the problem between the front end and the outlet. Since we have the problem on our 10-month-old 2021 Explorer Limited and our friend has it on her 5-month-old 2022 Explorer King Ranch I think there must be a possible assembly line problem. We both have had the problem since we bought the cars. I was hoping to find someone else who had a similar problem and resolved it. Thanks again for your response that got me to clarify what's going on.
You’re going to regret letting them drop your headliner…

Upvote 0

I haven't had mine long enough to check thoroughly but is the rear fed from the same reservoir as the front? I had a older vehicle that had a separate reservoir for the rear. Can't remember what it was.

Upvote 0

I haven't had mine long enough to check thoroughly but is the rear fed from the same reservoir as the front? I had a older vehicle that had a separate reservoir for the rear. Can't remember what it was.
One reservoir for both front and rear washers and 2 pumps.

Peter

Upvote 0

My 21 has had no problems with the rear washer.

Upvote 0

Someone is always going to have a bad experience. Don't let someone scare you about dropping the headliner. I've done it 4-5 times on my f350 crew cab with no problems (yes different vehicle but still a large headliner). A competint tech will be able to remove and reinstall no problem.

Yes there are some awful techs but there are good ones too that know what they are doing.

Upvote 0

Go ahead and let a dealership drop your headliner then please report back and let us know how that turned out for you.

Upvote 0

Go ahead and let a dealership drop your headliner then please report back and let us know how that turned out for you.
That certainly does not advise what your problem was.

Upvote 0

That certainly does not advise what your problem was.
From reading the posts in this thread, it appears that no one has identified any problem and Ricky did not say he had an issue with the washer. He only mentioned that there could be a problem with removing the headliner. I would think that it would be up to your dealer to resolve the issue, whatever it may be.

Peter

Upvote 0

From reading the posts in this thread, it appears that no one has identified any problem and Ricky did not say he had an issue with the washer. He only mentioned that there could be a problem with removing the headliner. I would think that it would be up to your dealer to resolve the issue, whatever it may be.

Peter
Peter, I agree with your comments. Our dealer will be resolving the issue. Before we start, I just was looking for meaningful information about the apparent problems Ricky & denjen had with dropping their headliners.

Upvote 0

Peter, I agree with your comments. Our dealer will be resolving the issue. Before we start, I just was looking for meaningful information about the apparent problems Ricky & denjen had with dropping their headliners.
Did you even read what Peter posted?

Upvote 0

Did you even read what Peter posted?

YES, I read Peter's post. Did you even read my response? Guess it's time to drop off this forum. This thread transitioned from the washer problem to possible concerns about dropping the headliner to resolve the problem. All I'm getting is warnings without WHAT or WHY dropping the headliner could be a problem. That does not give me anything to discuss with my dealer.

Upvote 0

YES, I read Peter's post. Did you even read my response? Guess it's time to drop off this forum. This thread transitioned from the washer problem to possible concerns about dropping the headliner to resolve the problem. All I'm getting is warnings without WHAT or WHY dropping the headliner could be a problem. That does not give me anything to discuss with my dealer.
Good Luck …

Upvote 0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While I've never had it done, removing the headliner requires removing all the cabin plastic, a bunch of fittings in the top of the car, and releasing the headliner from the weatherstripping. While others don't seem to want to describe the actual issues they had, I suspect this procedure can result in broken plastic parts, squeaks, poor alignment, or damaged / dirty headliner cloth.

To troubleshoot your washer flow issue:
  1. Check that the fluid outlet in the rear hatch isn't blocked. Correct if it is. Otherwise
  2. Disconnect the fitting at the canister. If no flow at the canister, it's the pump or canister internals. Otherwise
  3. Disconnect the hose where it enters the vehicle. If no flow, that hose is blocked. Otherwise
  4. Disconnect the hose where it exits the roof. If there is good flow, the problem is is in the plumbing in the rear hatch. Otherwise
  5. It seems like there is an issue with the water line inside the car. It could be kinked or blocked in places that can be checked without messing with the headliner. Otherwise
  6. It seems like there is a problem with the water line under the headliner.
You can start a procedure like this in the front, or the back of the vehicle. The goal is to eliminate all the things that are easier to fix first before doing something more drastic. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Back