2021 Explorer Timberline - "Offroad" Edition | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2021 Explorer Timberline - "Offroad" Edition

The actual pipes are downturned pipes. The tips are just for show which can be removed. One good thing is the chrome tips don't turn blacked out with soot which I have had to clean periodically in other cars.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put offroad in quotes, because it still doesn't look too offroad worthy to me. ;)

The big question is, does it have a transfercase with low range?

It’ll be enough off-road for the typical fire roads and rougher dirt roads these will typically see.

I prefer the styling.

You think it still needs low with it’s available torque?

It’ll be enough off-road for the typical fire roads and rougher dirt roads these will typically see.

I prefer the styling.

You think it still needs low with it’s available torque?

Even big block V8s with gobs of low end torque had transfercases with low range.

Agreed, but those trucks were also surprisingly stout and capable from the factory. Having low range is always better, but I don’t think it’s really required by its market.

Agreed, but those trucks were also surprisingly stout and capable from the factory. Having low range is always better,
That's the point... Low range helps make the vehicle more stout and capable. Having low range gives you more options which are needed when the going gets tough. I also wonder if they will offer limited slip differentials.

My 2020 Exploder XLT 4WD in "TRAIL" mode feels and acts the same as my old 2006 Jeep Commander V8 4x4 felt in 4 Low. I traded it for the Ford.

Not a chance they add much more than some aesthetic changes and perhaps a slight lift. No way they're going to put something out there that could entice people away from the Bronco.

Honestly i kinda like it!!

This is my first explorer (hence the username lol) and i'm still debating on giving the explorer another shot after this lease is over but if i can't get a good deal on an ST lease when i returned the XLT, i might consider that offroad version. I like that rugged look.

Ford has been on a roll lately coming to market for vehicles that Americans want, I come from the older generation of the imports killing domestic times. These days the tables have turned. I like the 20+ Explorer especially switching to a rear wheel drive platform and eliminating top heavy fwd models.

Bronco, Ranger, and new Explorer all coming to market launches Ford to the top of SUV/ truck game. To me the new Explorer feels very truck like.

The Explorer Sport from 2013-2019 used real Chrome tips however the muffler casing was painted black. Some other exhaust pieces may have also been painted black. You would be surprised how many new cars being sold today have fake exhaust. Many people don't notice it but manufacturers are definitely trwnding this way.

Exactly what I had posted here.

2020 Explorer Reviews

There is no way it is due to "soot".
2.3 has the same stupid tips. At least its true daul exhaust. If they we're totally fake I would not of bought the car. I agree with Exit 32, this is more about exhaust in the cabin. Solution: After market exhaust!! Borla has a system that sounds great on your ST. I checked out a system for the 2.3 but it was made for the 20 which has no tips, they just face downward. I have a 21 XLT with Sport Appearance so I have the fake tips.

2.3 has the same stupid tips. At least its true daul exhaust. If they we're totally fake I would not of bought the car. I agree with Exit 32, this is more about exhaust in the cabin. Solution: After market exhaust!! Borla has a system that sounds great on your ST. I checked out a system for the 2.3 but it was made for the 20 which has no tips, they just face downward. I have a 21 XLT with Sport Appearance so I have the fake tips.

I have a 2020 ST. I put in Borla exhaust and it just sounds so natural. No more rattles in suspension, no more rattles anywhere. I used to hear some suspension noise before installing Borla but now I hear a smooth Borla sound even when driving in normal mode in the ST. No rattles from engine and no rattles from the exhaust. I am satisfied with 2020 ST with Borla.

Bronco, Ranger, and new Explorer all coming to market launches Ford to the top of SUV/ truck game. To me the new Explorer feels very truck like.

To me our ST feels like a Cadillac in ride quality ;) I forget that I am even in an SUV let alone a truck.

I'm waiting for the team here to create the "Limited Slip Differential Conversion Package" part number list and procedure for my XLT!

Would probably need a reprogramming to make that work too.

Back