212,911 Ford Explorers (2011 - 13) recalled for door handle issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

212,911 Ford Explorers (2011 - 13) recalled for door handle issue

LukerDooker

Reaction score
City, State
N.E.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013Limited 301A TuxBlack

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Funny thing is I don't recall seeing that mentioned on this board... ever...

It was just announced today.

The Taurus line info came out a few months ago and the Explorer just came out.

So what's the fix for this? Online recall information says fix is still pending.

I've had a rattling inside my drivers door for a while now, is this related?

When are they going to stop using Chinese junk parts?

When are they going to stop using Chinese junk parts?
The Chinese will build anything you want, to the quality spec and cost you desire. Accountants build cars, not engineers.

The Chinese will build anything you want, to the quality spec and cost you desire. Accountants build cars, not engineers.

Very true. If you're working with a manufacturer in China, you need to make sure that you have very clear quality specs in place in the contract you can hold them to. Often, a factory will deliver a sample of above average quality to win a bid, and then cut costs and trust that you aren't doing enough quality control to call them on it.

This is how companies like Apple can have products of high quality made in the same Foxconn factory as other tech companies - their contract demands a certain level of quality and precision, and they spend a lot on quality control.

When I first got my Explorer, I had a door latch issue where the door latch came off and I was unable to open the door. Interesting that this is a common issue.

Anybody received a recall notice yet?

The dealers dont even have the full information on it yet. You wont be getting a recall notice for a while

AFFECTED VEHICLES
Vehicle Line Model Year
Assembly
Plant
Build Dates
Explorer
2011-2013 Chicago
February 1, 2011 through January 31, 2012
June 1, 2012 through June 30, 2012
October 1, 2012 through November 30, 2012
Police Interceptor
Utility

REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
In some of the affected vehicles, a crack may develop within one or more of the interior door handles,
allowing the handle return spring to become unseated. This may result in a loose handle condition,
and the handle may not return to the fully closed position.
During a side impact crash, an unseated interior door handle return spring may allow the door latch to
open and increase the risk of injury.
SERVICE ACTION
DO NOT DEMONSTRATE OR DELIVER any of the affected vehicles involved in this safety recall.
It is anticipated that additional repair and part availability information will be provided to dealers in late
May 2015.
NOTE: If an owner of an affected vehicle exhibits a loose interior door handle, call the Special Service
Support Center for instructions and be prepared to provide the door handle part number.

Thanks for the details!

I'm confused

Does this say it needs to be fixed by May 2015?

Risk to Safety: IF THE INTERIOR DOOR HANDLE RETURN SPRING IS UNSEATED, THE DOOR MAY UNLATCH DURING A SIDE IMPACT CRASH, INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY.
Remedy Program: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE ALL FOUR INTERIOR DOOR HANDLES INSPECTED AND EITHER REPAIRED OR REPLACED. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE TO OWNERS FOR THIS SERVICE. FORD'S GENERAL REIMBURSEMENT PLAN FOR THE COST OF REMEDIES PAID FOR BY VEHICLE OWNERS PRIOR TO NOTIFICATION OF A SAFETY RECALL WAS PROVIDED TO THE AGENCY ON FEBRUARY 20, 2015. THE ENDING DATE FOR REIMBURSEMENT ELIGIBILITY FOR THE COST OF REMEDIES PAID FOR BY VEHICLE OWNERS PER FORD'S GENERAL REIMBURSEMENT PLAN IS MAY 27, 2015. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE NOTIFICATION LETTERS TO DEALERS TO THE AGENCY WHEN AVAILABLE.

2011 Door Handle Assembly Recall - is this widespread?

I posted the basic recall information in the recall thread, but didn't want to clutter that thread with a discussion of this issue.

I received the recall letter from Ford. Recall notice 15S11/NHTSA Recall 15V-171

The highlights are:
"On your vehicle, a crack may develop within one or more of the interior door handle assemblies, allowing the handle return spring to become unseated. This may result in a loose interior door handle condition, and/or the intrior door handle may not return to the fully closed position.

During a side impact Crash, this condition may allow the door latch to open and increase the risk of injury"

It goes on to say that parts are not available yet and they will let me know when they are.

Anyone else get this? I don't remember any widespread issue with doors popping open or hardware failing.

This says it applies to my 2011, which is a late April, 2011 build. It does not mention any other model years.

I received the recall later the mail.

I have not encountered any issues yet with my door latches.

Got mine too on Monday. Said parts should be available by end of May and we will get notified at the time they are available.

What about areas like Middle East and Far East; are they included in the recall? I see no mention of that at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back