22's on the X? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

22's on the X?

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
I've got a friend who's selling me some 22" rims off his expedition. I'm wondering if the rims' size and weight would be bad for my Explorer's brakes, differntial, bearings, etc. I'm gonna get my differntial fluid and brake fluid changed before I throw them on. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this and if any mods have to be done to the vehicle. My leafs just recently got rearched so there's plenty of room back there. I've got the 4.0 2WD. Any help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Expeditions have a different bolt pattern. If it is a dual bolt pattern it is highly unlikely it will fit both explorer and expedition but if it does happen to have the dual pattern that does fit your explorer, no it won't hurt your explorer to put them on.

I had 24"s on my 03 Sport and now run 22" No clearance issues at all. I dont think those Expedition rims will bolt up though, different pattern.

I bought some stock size cooper tires for now. I think I'm going to get new calipers before I put heavy rims on. I though they had similar bolt patterns since the expedition is the same year but it probably is different though I'll have to look into that before buying. Thanks for the info.

just to throw it out there the lug pattern is different...expediton lug pattern is larger like the F150 pattern

Back