• Register Today It's free!

23 MPG in my 4x4 V8 2002

FordLover

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
this was done at 65-75 mph, which my truck will typically average about 18-19 mpg. All I did was follow an 18 wheeler on a 430 mile trip, about a 1 to 2 second following distance. Didn't have to stop for gas the entire way, and still had fuel left. The computer went up to 23.4 by the time I made it back home.

Usually I drive at least 80, but it's amazing the difference by using this technique and slowing down a bit, think I'm gonna try it more often.

2002 4.6V8, 4x4 with tow package/3.73's

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds good to me. We can only get 23MPG out of our 4.6L Mustang on the highway. Getting that kind of mileage in an Explorer with a V8 is definately doing good :biggthump

How many new rock chips do you have in your front bumper now? LOL

Rick, you need to put a CAI and on that GT. Push you well over 24. I have gotten 28 with mine but I have much more than a CAI done.

It not a GT. It's a Mach 1 DOHC 4.6. EPA is 28 highway, but we have never got close. My best tank of 23mpg was at 75mph running on the highway from gas station to gas station on the way to Vegas... Draper gets better with his. I guess ours is just a hog:D

I agree, something it wrong with your Mach 1, My Lincoln Mark VIII LSC with the DOHC 4.6L, 4R70W, and 3900# curb wieght got 27-30mpg with 3.23 gears and 27-28 with 3.73's in it now. Hell, taking it easy In town back and forth to work I average 20-22mpg.

The average ambient temperature out there in AZ might have something to do with it? Maybe?

chriswells78 said:
How many new rock chips do you have in your front bumper now? LOL

Eh, in Texas the strech of I-45 I used is wide open road, no highway dividers anywhere. So rocks and such quickly get blown off the roadway. I actually didn't hear a single rock hit the windshield on the trip up or back.

I wouldn't do this up north in the rust belt or on a freeway with concrete dividers that help keep debris on the roadway.

And Rick, my parents 96 stang GT vert. with the 4.6/5 speed can average ~23 to 25 or so on the Highway, and the gears have been switched from stock 2.73's to 3.27's, with speedo gear changed to keep it accurate.

I find the computer on mine to be horribly inaccurate. It will tell me I'm getting over 20MPG and in reality, its closer to 17.

AJRK said:
I find the computer on mine to be horribly inaccurate. It will tell me I'm getting over 20MPG and in reality, its closer to 17.

You should get that checked out. I drove about 500 miles on a tank of gas, and I still had some fuel left. The tank is 22.5 gallons, so assuming 22.5 gallons used over 500 miles of driving, that's 22.2 mpg.

I'm gonna say that my computer is pretty close to accurate. Of course my truck is still completely stock, and has 19K miles, original tires.

Next thing you know he'll be wanting to paint a big number 3 on the door. :D

Aloha, Mark

geese, you guys are gettin some good numbers, ive never gone threw a whole tank on the highway but a normal tank in the city gets me like 12.9 mpg in my 02' 4.0L

wow...i have done a few tanks of nothing but highway and ususally get 17.5mpg..of course this is at 80mph..but if 65-70mph is going to get that much difference in mpg, then im slowing way down...What gear ratio is in a 03 Eddie Bauer?? i also have a 4.6l v8 4x4..any way i can get that kind of mpg?

Never had more than about 375miles out of a tank of gas. Of course, on a highway trip, I don't usually go under 70-75. I think I've had about 20MPG on one or two occasions.

just checked..03 explorers have a 3.55..\

i can also get about 370 miles per tank doing about 80mph..it only comes out to be 17.6mpg...since it usually only takes like 21 gallons..

it would be nice to have the 3.73 gears in it, but i think it would be a little to much to put in

They say driving at 55 instead of 65 saves 20+% MPG

-Drew

but then again...they also say 28 mpg for a v8 mustang ;)

Back