28 or 31 spline?

riffman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Ok.....i have searched the forum to the answer, but i can't seem to find a difinitave answer!! does my 8.8" (from a 92 explorer XLT) have a 28 or a 31 spline?!?!?! when i look in some places, i think its a 28...when i look other places, i think its a 31.....grrrrrrrr..... :banghead: .....can anybody help me?!?! thanx in advance!!

scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

31 spline

Rangers have a 28 spline 8.8, the Explorers all have a 31 spline 8.8. It's a very popular upgrade for Rangers to get a 95-up 31 spline 8.8, b/c it's stronger and has disc brakes. Rangers are spring-over, so it takes a welding job for the perches and shock mounts, but it's a worth while upgrade. Be happy you don't have to do that (unless you want rear discs).

Best,
Brian

31 spline

Explorers have the 31 spline. Rangers are the 28.

TJ Cotta

RATS!!!!

I was hoping to get a steal on the 28 spline posi unit on ebay.....well....thanx for the help guys!!!!!!

That depends

My 94 EB 4x4 had 28 spline, so don't be too sure that you have the 31 spline. If you have the numerically higher gear ratio (3.73 or so) than you probibly have the 31 spline though.

yeah....i got 3.73....so i probably have the 31....oh well....

Back