Do all Ford 8.8 gear sets fit on a 28 or 31 spline carrier? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do all Ford 8.8 gear sets fit on a 28 or 31 spline carrier?

haktmal

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport OHV
Hi,
Do all Ford 8.8 gear sets fit on a 28 or 31 spline carrier?

Thanks for answering

Nathan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes

Say if I get a Mustang 8.0 28 spline ring & pinion set, and later on if I decide to get a locker to put in the Explorer, will the locker fit?

The locker will have to be a 31 spline model and the right size for the gear ratio.

The gears are all the same for Ford 8.8s. The carriers usually come in two different sizes, depending on gear ratio. The spider gears must match your axle spline count as that's where they attach to the carrier. A full locker will replace the spider gears so it'll need to be the same spline count.

Sorry, I'm kind of confused.

What is a spider gear?

Now all gears are the same for Ford 8.8, some of them are 28, 29, 30, or 31 spline carrier.

And they would all be interchangeable.

But if I get a locker after that, the locker doesn't have anything to do with the ... say... 28 spline 8.8 gear that is in my axle ? And the locker can be a 31 spline model even though my gear set is a 28 spline ?

Sorry again if I sounded too stupid :(

Like was said above all of the 8.8 gears fit any carrier. Gear sets are NOT catagorized by spline count, the spline count only matters with the carriers/carrier type lockers and limited slips .

The gear set and the carrier are two seperate things- the carrier is one unit, and the gears are another. The gears mount to the carrier.

The carrier can be open, or L/S from the factory, aftermarket provides all sorts of carriers- lockers, limited slips, selectables.
You install the ring gear on the carrier.
The gears dont care what carrier/L/S/locker they are installed on.
The axles care about what carrier they are installed in.

If you are swapping gears and want a L/S DO IT at the same time. If not you pay to have the gears set up twice, since the gears have to be reset if the carrier is changed.

If you have an explorer all you care about is that you get 8.8 gears and a carrier that has 31 splines. period.

You can use any 8.8 gears ONLY 31 spline carriers.

something I just typed may help :D

That was very informative, thanks I need to know all of that stuff and now I do!

Originally posted by haktmal

What is a spider gear?

Check the main page. I think there is a very useful article about the whole axle setup. The spider gears allow each individual axle to rotate somewhat freely from each other. For example: going around a corner. The inner wheel will be traveling slower than the outer. Both wheels require power to move forward but not always at the same rate. A limited slip or full lockers will still allow both wheels to turn at a different rate (slightly) but will give both wheels full torque all the time.

Originally posted by NOTAJP
The gears are all the same for Ford 8.8s. The carriers usually come in two different sizes, depending on gear ratio. The spider gears must match your axle spline count as that's where they attach to the carrier. A full locker will replace the spider gears so it'll need to be the same spline count.

NOTAJP-- there are no carrier breaks for Ford 8.8 axles all carriers fit all ratios.

HAKTMAL ignore this- just adds confusion.

Thanks SteveVB.

That is really detailed and informative.

When you say: "You can use any 8.8 gears ONLY 31 spline carriers."

Does that mean that I can use any 8.8 gears and I can ONLY use a 31 spline carriers?

Just to make it more clear.

Thanks.

Originally posted by haktmal
Does that mean that I can use any 8.8 gears and I can ONLY use a 31 spline carriers?

Just to make it more clear.

Thanks.

Yes. for the Explorer you can use any gears made for the Ford 8.8.

You can ONLY use a 31 spline carrier, limited-slip or locker in the Explorer.

sorry about that

Back