2nd gen door swap wiring question... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd gen door swap wiring question...

M.Stidwill

Reaction score
City, State
South Lyon, MI.
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
I'm in the middle of a 4 door swap on 93 with doors from 97. Tons of wires:confused:. It looks like the same color wires are in both (93,97) ends. Can I just connect same color with same color? I dont need keyless entry, pr.mirrors... but would want windows & locks to work.
Did I just open a major can of worms????
Thanks for any info!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have to swap the whole interior panel as well? You might be able to either plug in the stock connectors to the new doors, or just swap the entire old door panel onto the new door to avoid cutting and reconnecting wires between the two.

You'll probably want to keep the earlier 91-94 style door panels anyway unless you're also swapping the dash, otherwise the fit with the doors closed is kind of funny.

I just completed a similar swap....But I swapped the door panels too...and the dash. 1992 Body with 1997 wiring and dash.

The window motors are the EXACT SAME. with the same plug.

When I get home tonight, I can map out the front door wires for you. I already closed up the rear, and installed the door panels, my build thread is found here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223022&page=15

But once you have the drivers Main Control Panel done, the other 3 are cake!

Ryan

Hmm...not same plugs for me. I too am using the gen2 door panles but not dash. Are you talking the plug at the switch? I was looking at the plug between door and body.
BTW Nice build thread

What's the benefit of swapping the doors??

I just came across clean/rust free doors for cheap. + 2 of my inside handles were broke off, bad switch, etc.

I got home REALLY late tonight.

So I had no time to map out the wires..

I will still do it, but your BEST BET is to just swap the harness from door to door..

All but the drivers door will swap straight across...The drivers door isn't worth the trouble, if you can avoid it. You need the BODY side connector too....WAY too much trouble to even bother with it....

Ryan

Ditto, Ryan has done more of that swap than I did. I basically used my old doors(and body) to repair a 99 truck. Thus mine is basically all 1999 parts except for the older doors, which are easily converted.

The main LF door jamb connector is the big headache. You basically have to commit to one wiring harness by year entirely, or the other. I also think the front door panels will work with the older dash, Ryan did you confirm that?

If you can use the panels, try to make the wiring conversion to the older body wiring near the hinges. For the LF I'd leave out the options that you don't have. Those older 91-94 harness connectors are very hard to disconnect when you pull the doors.

The key cylinders don't swap between the models, so try hard to use the keys which match the doors. Get the ignition key cylinder and key to match the doors. I spent some time making the old door key cylinder holes bigger to accept the newer parts. To go the other way would have the holes too big.

The only easy part is that the wiring colors are almost all the same.

91-94 Door Panels with 95-01 Dash, does NOT work.
95-01 Door Panels with 91-94 Dash, DOES work.

Ryan

Back