• Register Today It's free!

2nd row bench to captain chairs

pkeys

Reaction score
City, State
Rumford, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a ‘22 XLT with the 2nd row bench and was wondering if anyone has tried to convert it to captain chairs on the latest generation?
Was thinking that removing the center seat and adding arm rests (if possible) to inside of the seats would do it.

Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 2nd row is actually three pieces, the only connection for the middle section is for the seat belt.

Upvote 0

Make it known everywhere you can that you want to make the swap. These are odd times - some people are desperate for a new car and will take whatever they can get right now. Someone out there wanted a bench but the dealer only had one Explorer in stock and it had the captains chairs and they couldn't wait months to order it. You might get lucky.

Upvote 0

I have a ‘22 XLT with the 2nd row bench and was wondering if anyone has tried to convert it to captain chairs on the latest generation?
Was thinking that removing the center seat and adding arm rests (if possible) to inside of the seats would do it.

Any thoughts?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I think the issue would be the armrests. It appears as though they are part of the seat back and not available as a separate item.
I also don't know if removing the center seatbelt would create an issue with the restraint system.

Peter

Upvote 0

the center seat is its own thing and just unbolts however the other two seats have no holes cut for the armrest. im not sure the bosses for the screws are in there as well. so without hacking them up you either live with no armrest or swap all 3. i prefer the center seat. seams like a waste to have the open spot since you can let the armrest down have cup holders on the center and still use it when needed as a seat. if i could get a front center seat like older suvs had and trucks do now id still opt for it. i guess you get the pass through advantage but its not very user friendly imo.

Upvote 0

the center seat is its own thing and just unbolts however the other two seats have no holes cut for the armrest. im not sure the bosses for the screws are in there as well. so without hacking them up you either live with no armrest or swap all 3. i prefer the center seat. seams like a waste to have the open spot since you can let the armrest down have cup holders on the center and still use it when needed as a seat. if i could get a front center seat like older suvs had and trucks do now id still opt for it. i guess you get the pass through advantage but its not very user friendly imo.
The other issue with removing the center seat is you will have holes in the carpet for the mounting bolts. Pretty sure there would be 4 of them.

Upvote 0

The other issue with removing the center seat is you will have holes in the carpet for the mounting bolts. Pretty sure there would be 4 of them.
yeah but i think the brackets for the center seat use the same bolts and attach under the mounts of the other seats. i would have to look under mine to confirm. thats how full size trucks did it though.

Upvote 0

Back