change 2nd row bench to captain chair? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

change 2nd row bench to captain chair?

Andy40

Reaction score
City, State
Worthville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021, Explorer, King Ranc
I'm looking to switch 2nd row bench to captain's seats in a 2021 King Ranch Explorer. Is this possible?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Andy. :wave:
No one has done this yet and posted about it. Check out this post from a thread wanting to do the opposite. Switch Captains Seats for Bench

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Andy. :wave:
No one has done this yet and posted about it. Check out this post from a thread wanting to do the opposite. Switch Captains Seats for Bench

Peter
Thanks Peter for the information. I'll check with a dealership and see what problems I'd run into and I'll post what I find out.

Not sure if it counts but my mom ordered her 2018 platinum w second row buckets so the kids have a walkway back to the third row seats. It took the sealer a minute to find one but they did… it works out nicely the only slight drawback is the carpet kit has provisions for the middle seat or console there are some plastic plugs on the floor instead of just smooth carpeting, no biggie. Works fine! One less seat

Not sure if it counts but my mom ordered her 2018 platinum w second row buckets so the kids have a walkway back to the third row seats. It took the sealer a minute to find one but they did… it works out nicely the only slight drawback is the carpet kit has provisions for the middle seat or console there are some plastic plugs on the floor instead of just smooth carpeting, no biggie. Works fine! One less seat
From what I've found out so far it can be done. They make a low profile cup holder that mounts where the middle seat would have been so the carpet issue wouldn't be a problem. The only problem I don't have an answer for yet is the restraint system. I believe it would have to be reprogrammed. But I'm not sure if that can be done or not. The gauge display shows which seatbelts are fastened and which or not. And it shows there being a middle seat. So if I took that middle seat out I'm not sure of the outcome.

Hi Andy. The other issue would be finding 2 Captain's Chairs to install. ;) You would have to find someone looking to swap for a bench. Unfortunately, I don't believe the member who started the thread I linked in my post above is around anymore. He was last seen here in August 2020, so we don't know if the swap was successful or not. Good luck.

Peter

Hi Andy. The other issue would be finding 2 Captain's Chairs to install. ;) You would have to find someone looking to swap for a bench. Unfortunately, I don't believe the member who started the thread I linked in my post above is around anymore. He was last seen here in August 2020, so we don't know if the swap was successful or not. Good luck.

Peter
Thanks Peter, I did find King Ranch 2nd row captain's seats on ebay for $700 and they have the floor mounted cup holder for $100. But I agree about the thread you linked, I have a service appointment coming up in a couple weeks and I'll talk to the Ford Service Department and find out what can be done before I spend any money buying seats or trying to modify the existing seats. Thanks again for the info.

Back