2XXk mile motor, doing chains should I replace anything else? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2XXk mile motor, doing chains should I replace anything else?

4EyedTurd

Reaction score
City, State
Waco,Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer
I pulled a poorly running I think it was around 245k mile 4.0 Sohc motor from a parts car for my sister's explorer. I ran it long enough to get it on and off the trailer but I could tell it had timing chain issues so I knew I was in for that. The other issue I noticed was oil pressure on the gauge would jump up at startup then drop to nothing unless rev'd up. I'm partially thinking it might have been timing chain tensioner bits plugging the pickup screen causing this.

So far, I'm still tearing the motor down and found the rear chain tensioner is broke, the tensioner from the crank to jack shaft is broke and the pieces made it to the oil pan and some behind the front timing cover.

I've got a new timing set, gaskets, water outlet, and water pump. I plan to pop a couple rod and main caps off to look at bearing surfaces but my intentions are to put it back together and have a motor my sister won't have to worry about for a few years. Should I replace anything else or check anything else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If youre doing the water pump, replace the fan clutch, so she won't have to worry about that down the road.

Well, the timing kit I bought was for a no balance shaft motor since I pulled it from a 2wd Explorer but after tearing into it and finding it has a balance shaft and the guides for it were trashed I'm stuck. I searched and found a couple of questions but no answers. I could pull the chain off the balance shaft and guide off but would it cause any issues with the shaft not turning but still in place?

Well, the timing kit I bought was for a no balance shaft motor since I pulled it from a 2wd Explorer but after tearing into it and finding it has a balance shaft and the guides for it were trashed I'm stuck. I searched and found a couple of questions but no answers. I could pull the chain off the balance shaft and guide off but would it cause any issues with the shaft not turning but still in place?

I searched and searched, and asked this question. Best I could find was that it would "probably" be ok to delete balancer chain. Therefore, I did not delete the balancer chain. Would really like to hear something definitive from someone that did this to their daily driver vehicle.

So I will just be following...

Thanks.

I don't know if you saw my post yesterday but I am in the similar situation. 190k motor, previous owners mechanic found broken balance shaft tensioner pieces in the pan. I am thinking I am going to first pull the front cover but ultimately end up pulling the motor. Which timing kit did you go with? Sounds like Ford and Cloyes are the preferred brands here. Did you do a compression check on the engine?

I have a 2WD and also found the surprise balance shaft. I ended out waiting for a new timing set and doing it all, but I already had the engine out. If the back cassette looked good and the engine was still in the car, I would have just cut the balance shaft chain.

I went with Cloyes.

Back